Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Domlnlc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
Hello

Hoping for a simple answer for these 2 related questions:

- Can the base mac mini m2 run at 4k 144hz via thunderbolt to dp?
- If yes: can it run this resolution/refresh rate smoothly?

Hoping for someone that actually tested this since the port might support this but the mac internals might not be able to run properly at this resolution/refresh rate. I am woundering if the m2 with 8gb of ram would run PERFECTLY at max resolution and refresh rate of my samsung g7 4k/144hz monitor.

Reading the spec page it talks about up to 6k 60hz via thunderbolt and 4k 60hz via hdmi so it does settle the hdmi port possibilities but 6k 60hz can also mean 4k ???hz…

Thank you

Last edited:

Domlnlc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
Only the M2 Pro Mac mini can provide 4K at higher refresh rates than 60 Hz due to increase number of GPU cores.
Thank you. I feel there is more to it as it can do 6k 60hz.. should be able to do 4k with above 60hz using the thunderbolt port.

I ordered one and will test it out. I will update this tread.

Reactions: picpicmac

Deadceptor

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2024
Got a Gigabyte M32U hooked on my M1 Mac Mini with Thunderbolt and it runs 4K 144hz (with or without VRR) perfectly fine.

Reactions: Domlnlc

Domlnlc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
Hello

Hoping for a simple answer for these 2 related questions:

- Can the base mac mini m2 run at 4k 144hz via thunderbolt to dp?
- If yes: can it run this resolution/refresh rate smoothly?

Hoping for someone that actually tested this since the port might support this but the mac internals might not be able to run properly at this resolution/refresh rate. I am woundering if the m2 with 8gb of ram would run PERFECTLY at max resolution and refresh rate of my samsung g7 4k/144hz monitor.

Reading the spec page it talks about up to 6k 60hz via thunderbolt and 4k 60hz via hdmi so it does settle the hdmi port possibilities but 6k 60hz can also mean 4k ???hz…

Thank you
Update: I received my mac mini m2 base (8bg ram, 256g,etc) and can confirm that 4k @ 120hz works perfectly using TB to DP. I did not find a 144hz option but good enough 😎

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.