Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexballvideos

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2017
As per title.
I have a 6S and thinking of getting the 7 or 7+, just wanted to see if the built-in camera app has the 24fps option for 4K in iOS11? I understand the 8 has this option. I do own the Filmic Pro APP, but it's just so much more convenient and faster to access the home screen camera when outdoors hiking in the cold.

Thanks,

Alex

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
7 and 7+ have 4K @ 30fps option.
8 and 8+ have 4K @ 60fps option.

Choose wisely.

alexballvideos

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2017
7 and 7+ have 4K @ 30fps option.
8 and 8+ have 4K @ 60fps option.

Choose wisely.
Yes I understand the 30 and 60fps, my 6S can do 4K 30fps (but no OIS). I was hoping they turned on the 24fps option for the 7 with iOS11?

CPx

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
Yes I understand the 30 and 60fps, my 6S can do 4K 30fps (but no OIS). I was hoping they turned on the 24fps option for the 7 with iOS11?
They did not, unfortunately. One of the first things I checked. :) You need an 8, 8+, or X for 24fps.

labyrinth153

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA

Attachments

• A5A5A56D-C7D8-41E9-A32A-AB92BFFCAB9E.jpeg
    A5A5A56D-C7D8-41E9-A32A-AB92BFFCAB9E.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 714

MobiusStrip

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2009
GJ, Apple: repeating the same idiotic mistake Canon made (and was widely scorned for) 10 years ago.

There's no excuse for a video camera that can shoot 30 FPS but not 24.

silvetti

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2011
Poland
GJ, Apple: repeating the same idiotic mistake Canon made (and was widely scorned for) 10 years ago.

There's no excuse for a video camera that can shoot 30 FPS but not 24.

It can shoot 4K 24fps.
You just can't use the STOCK app.
Buy Procam for example and use whatever you want :)
I think FiLMic also supports 4k 24fps but you might want to check that :)

Reactions: MobiusStrip

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Why would Apple limit this in the stock app? Like are there legit technical reasons or is it just about making the 8 and beyond more attractive?

MobiusStrip

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2009
It can shoot 4K 24fps.
You just can't use the STOCK app.
Buy Procam for example and use whatever you want :)

Thanks. It's ProCamera that allows 24 FPS. FilmicPro does too, but I don't need the rest of its features for three times the price.

I filed a bug with Apple against the stock camera app, and so far they haven't provided any explanation or fixed it.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    83 bytes · Views: 332

silvetti

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2011
Poland
Thanks. It's ProCamera that allows 24 FPS. FilmicPro does too, but I don't need the rest of its features for three times the price.

I filed a bug with Apple against the stock camera app, and so far they haven't provided any explanation or fixed it.

If it helps, I will submit Apple.com/feedback as well for adding 24fps :)

Reactions: MobiusStrip

MobiusStrip

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2009
Cool, go for it. Apple likes to pretend that they've "never heard of it" when defects are pointed out. The more people that report these things, the less they can make that claim. Let's not be helpless!

Jive--Turkey

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2018
Hey everyone. Just came across this thread while researching gimbals and signed up to ask a quick question relevant to the discussion. I've got my eye on the Zhiyun Smooth 4 and see that it works best with the ZY Play app. I've also got an iPhone 7. Will the ZY Play app allow me to shoot in 24fps? Can't seem to find the info elsewhere.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Why would Apple limit this in the stock app? Like are there legit technical reasons or is it just about making the 8 and beyond more attractive?

There is no technical reason it can’t be natively captured just reasons why it’s not always the best option (ex 3:2 pulldown from devices that play the files).

I’m more curious why there are reasons people would want 24fps to the point that using a third party app is unreasonable? Every reason I think of is moot because I would be editing the video anyway.

I’m not opposed to another option though. Which could be a reason Apple doesn’t do it, too many options.

Reactions: GreyOS

MobiusStrip

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2009
There is no technical reason it can’t be natively captured just reasons why it’s not always the best option (ex 3:2 pulldown from devices that play the files).

What 3:2 pulldown? We're not doing interlaced conversion of film to TV here!

It's not too many options; it's just Apple being ignorant and refusing to admit it. Apple operates in a fantasy world, where they refuse to learn from anyone else and unfortunately they are often given a free pass on it. Canon made the same stupid mistake 10 years ago and got harangued for it until they fixed it. There's no excuse for Apple doing the same today.

Why would we want it? Well, not long ago I was shooting an interview at 24 FPS on my production camera, but then something started happening in the background that I wanted to get some B-roll of. So I whipped out my phone to capture it... but it was useless because it was 30 FPS and wouldn't intercut with, well, anything.

Reactions: fhturner

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
What 3:2 pulldown? We're not doing interlaced conversion of film to TV here!

It's not too many options; it's just Apple being ignorant and refusing to admit it. Apple operates in a fantasy world, where they refuse to learn from anyone else and unfortunately they are often given a free pass on it. Canon made the same stupid mistake 10 years ago and got harangued for it until they fixed it. There's no excuse for Apple doing the same today.

Why would we want it? Well, not long ago I was shooting an interview at 24 FPS on my production camera, but then something started happening in the background that I wanted to get some B-roll of. So I whipped out my phone to capture it... but it was useless because it was 30 FPS and wouldn't intercut with, well, anything.

We are though. 24p is a film frame rate and often not supported by many set top boxes so call it a function of telecine, 2:3, 3:2 pull down, etc, whatever, except on a device that natively supports 24p output you'll need to take the 24fps and make it 60fps so it can be divided even to 30fps like this...

19ABDB17-182C-4750-9F93-F20E338F96F1.png

This can result in a stutter (technical term is 24hz judder) from the 7th frame, or lack thereof. Newer TV's are pretty good at compensating for 24fps from a 60hz source (list). If you are producing video to be played on something that natively outputs 24hz like DVD and Blu-ray players it’s fine. However it’s a problem for many devices like set top boxes. This included the AppleTV which up until very recently had the same problem but got a frame rate matching feature with tvOS 11.2. But even then some people leave that feature off because it requires a source refresh (tv goes black like an input change for a second or two). Many people with Plex clients that don't support 24p often bring this up.

Not sure what you mean by 30 fps iphone video being useless. Most basic feature of any video editing software is accepting clips of various frame rates. iMovie on a 4 year old iPhone can do that right now. Actual video editing software will allow you to export at a preferred frame rate. Regardless you’d need some type video editing software to stitch the clips together anyway and whatever that is I'm sure its capable of various FPS. You can drop a 24hz clip next to a 240hz clip in the free iMovie on Mac and probably Windows Movie Maker (not sure if that is still around). Its preferred to do all this in post anyway generally at 30/60fps.

Although my main point is people aren't shooting b-roll with iPhones, dont have production cameras, and if so they have video editing software anyway making the topic a moot point.

Last edited:
Reactions: silvetti

MobiusStrip

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2009
You can go from 24 to 30, but 30 is useless because there's no way to go back to 24 without motion artifacts.

There needn't be stutter going from 24 to 30, because if the player or monitor are too crude to display a multiple of 24, it can use frame-blending.

Now there is the problem of our pathetic ATSC standard, which not only allows interlacing and non-integer frame rates but also 18 different picture formats and no minimum standards for what's called "HD."

spicynujac

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2012
We are though. 24p is a film frame rate and often not supported by many set top boxes so call it a function of telecine, 2:3, 3:2 pull down, etc, whatever, except on a device that natively supports 24p output you'll need to take the 24fps and make it 60fps so it can be divided even to 30fps like this...

People who want to shoot in 24 fps do not need or want to convert it to any other playback speed. We are shooting 24 fps because it is generally better quality video. The only reason I ever want to shoot at 30, 60 or higher frame rates, is either a) shooting sports / fast action scenes or b) shooting 60 frames per second, then slowing the video down to play back at 24 fps later for slow motion effect.

So there is no need to "convert" 24 fps to 60 or anything else. In fact, that would defeat the whole purpose of shooting at the 24fps frame rate. If a "set top box" cannot play 24fps video... well I guess they won't be able to view my video. I've never seen a device that won't play it though--its one of the oldest video formats that exist!

Despite 60 being a higher number than 24, it does not result in higher quality video--actually the opposite. It's called the "soap opera effect" because it looks like how cheap soap operas have been filmed for decades. Check out all the complaints about the movie The Hobbit which Peter Jackson shot at a high frame rate--it was universally panned (note: most people saw and preferred the regular 24 fps version)

I didn't actually understand this myself until last year when a pro photographer on a workshop told me to turn my video settings on my pro DSLR camera "down" to 24. I thought he was confused, until I researched it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/videography/comments/69010k/why_shoot_in_30fps_or_24fps/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.