Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sierrablue

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2021
IDK. I am no expert but I bought a 2K LG monitor for my M1 MacBook Air and the fonts were very blurry. I returned it and bought a LG 4K monitor and scaled it to 1920 x 1080p and it is so much sharper and videos look so much better.

Lbond

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2022
London, United Kingdom
Just wanna add onto this thread as I’m in the process of returning an LG 27” 4k 144hz monitor after getting horrible GUI lag with my music apps when using it scaled at 1440p when using it hooked up to my MBP 16” M1 Pro laptop

The display looked amazing and for the most part it was fine, when just navigating the OS. I went for the high refresh rate as I wanted something close to the really fluid 120hz pro motion display on the laptop itself but when I’m inside various music production apps, you can really feel the sluggishness when interacting with the UI, especially at 144hz. I’m gonna wait until apple release a promotion display of their own to avoid these scaling performance degradation issues. Back to 1440p for me.

Reactions: Bacabon the 3rd

sylwiusz

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
Just wanna add onto this thread as I’m in the process of returning an LG 27” 4k 144hz monitor after getting horrible GUI lag with my music apps when using it scaled at 1440p when using it hooked up to my MBP 16” M1 Pro laptop

The display looked amazing and for the most part it was fine, when just navigating the OS. I went for the high refresh rate as I wanted something close to the really fluid 120hz pro motion display on the laptop itself but when I’m inside various music production apps, you can really feel the sluggishness when interacting with the UI, especially at 144hz. I’m gonna wait until apple release a promotion display of their own to avoid these scaling performance degradation issues. Back to 1440p for me.
144/60=2.4x - this how much more scaling work GPU has to do in case of 144 Hz 4k monitor. So while on 60 Hz this settled as being OK (M1 GPU probably has some hardware accelerated scaling built-in already) higher refresh 4k monitors have to wait. Even the fastest 16" MBPro has 3456x2234 120 Hz screen, still requiring less scaling work than 4k@144 Hz. But honestly 4k@144 Hz is an overkill even for top gaming PCs. My friend has just built such a machine around i9 11900 and RTX 3090, yet it's still not capable of playing high fps @4k. Basically he plays 1440p most of the time in all games that benefit from 144 Hz of his LG 4k display. He had to admit that now he'd just buy top 1440p monitor saving some bucks.

Lbond

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2022
London, United Kingdom
144/60=2.4x - this how much more scaling work GPU has to do in case of 144 Hz 4k monitor. So while on 60 Hz this settled as being OK (M1 GPU probably has some hardware accelerated scaling built-in already) higher refresh 4k monitors have to wait. Even the fastest 16" MBPro has 3456x2234 120 Hz screen, still requiring less scaling work than 4k@144 Hz. But honestly 4k@144 Hz is an overkill even for top gaming PCs. My friend has just built such a machine around i9 11900 and RTX 3090, yet it's still not capable of playing high fps @4k. Basically he plays 1440p most of the time in all games that benefit from 144 Hz of his LG 4k display. He had to admit that now he'd just buy top 1440p monitor saving some bucks.
Repeating what I said in another thread. I tested that monitor at all different refresh rates to rule out any performance issues that could arise from having a high refresh rate display, 60hz all the way up to 144hz. The same UI lag occured even when I put it all the way down to 60hz. When zooming in and out my projects in various different audio apps (Ableton, Bitwig & FL studio) the UI was insanely choppy when using 1440p scaled, you could see & feel the dropped frames.

sylwiusz

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
Repeating what I said in another thread. I tested that monitor at all different refresh rates to rule out any performance issues that could arise from having a high refresh rate display, 60hz all the way up to 144hz. The same UI lag occured even when I put it all the way down to 60hz. When zooming in and out my projects in various different audio apps (Ableton, Bitwig & FL studio) the UI was insanely choppy when using 1440p scaled, you could see & feel the dropped frames.
So that's surprising to me then. Do you have any chance to connect "ordinary" 60 Hz 4k display to check if it is repeatable on this also?

sylwiusz

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
Yeah I grabbed an older 60hz LG 4k monitor that I have spare and experienced the same on that also.
Looks like these two apps for some reason make heavy use of GPU (I think strange for DAW applications). I wonder if for instance Cubase or Logic Pro (this one is Mac exclusive) would create the same problem? I use Exposure X6 which uses GPU for image manipulation quite heavily and while there's some delay on 4k as compared to native 1440p monitor I'd say it is passable, especially that I have MBP 2019 with i7 and Intel IG and M1 are considered much better in this regard.

Reactions: Bacabon the 3rd

Lbond

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2022
London, United Kingdom
Looks like these two apps for some reason make heavy use of GPU (I think strange for DAW applications). I wonder if for instance Cubase or Logic Pro (this one is Mac exclusive) would create the same problem? I use Exposure X6 which uses GPU for image manipulation quite heavily and while there's some delay on 4k as compared to native 1440p monitor I'd say it is passable, especially that I have MBP 2019 with i7 and Intel IG and M1 are considered much better in this regard.

It's definately down to the software adapting metal or not. Here is a comparison of bitwig that uses the CPU to render its UI compared to Ableton Live which uses the metal API and the GPU to render its UI, its like night and day.

Reactions: sylwiusz

pipppa

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2022
Planning to buy an MBP here and I need help, if I upgrade the M1 MBP 14" to 10c CPU and 16c GPU with 32gb RAM will this solve my scaling issues on my 32" 4k PD3220u display?

I'm a graphic designer and I mostly use these apps (all at the same time):
Photoshop, Illustrator, Adobe XD, Indesign, Slack, Messenger, Apple music, Excel, Word, Safari with lots of tabs (20-50) for design research/inspirations

As for my monitor, I really don't want to let it go, it's really helpful when I design. I used an M2 Macbook Air before and experienced scaling issues when paired with my 4k monitor. I just sold the M2 air and planning to buy an MBP 14" but I don't know how many GPU cores I need so I don't experience performance issues...

Last edited:

pipppa

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2022
It won't, I've got the same model and experienced issues. The only way to avoid these issues as far as I'm aware is to go for a 5K monitor.
Yowch. Will this still be an issue even with the M1 Max at 32gb RAM?

sylwiusz

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
Yowch. Will this still be an issue even with the M1 Max at 32gb RAM?
It depends on an app. Seems like apps using properly metal framework are working just fine in scaled resolutions on 4k screen, performance is good even on multiple 4k screens.

pipppa

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2022
It depends on an app. Seems like apps using properly metal framework are working just fine in scaled resolutions on 4k screen, performance is good even on multiple 4k screens.
This was really helpful! Thank you! Since I’m also upgrading my cpu and gpu to 10/16 maybe this won’t cause major performance issues? Plus, I only use 1 ext display.

I want to order the mbp now but I’ll wait for more replies and do some more research

Reactions: sylwiusz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.