Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barisDogan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2018
Hi Guys

I need your help with the 4K or 5K monitor

I'm using MacBook Pro 2016 (touch bar) and I'm dealing with animation (frame base and code base)
so I really need the proper monitor (like retina)

there are a million options and there are a million rumours about New Mac Cinema display
I did not know what should I do

I really appreciated if let me know your suggestions for 4K & 5K or wide monitor

Many Thanks

leovilma

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2017
I don't know how much graphical power your workflow requires in regards to driving it in 5K but Ultrafine 5K is great display. If you can wait then maybe hold off for 2-3 months and MAYBE Apple has event in February or March where new Mac Pro and display will be released. There is no solid evidence it will happen though so you could wait until 2020 with this mindset.

If LG design doesn't put you off, its a solid display aside from looks, then get that. I doubt that whatever Apple comes out with will serve you much better. If its higher resolution then you can't drive it, brightness is already more than enough and so is colour accuracy unless you need 100% adobe RBG or Rec2020. Only major immediate benefit could be larger form factor.

Some other alternatives you could take a look at:

LG 34WK95U
LG 38WK95C
ASUS ProArt PA32UC
Dell U3818DW
Dell UP2718Q
LG 32UD99-W

TheralSadurns

Cancelled
Jul 8, 2010
If you want a retina style display... read HiDPI aka @2x resolution... 4k@27" is BARELY acceptable. As this is like running 1080p on 27" which I really dislike (everything is way too big). Only other way is to use a non-native resolution and scale everything... which is bad for its own reasons.

My recommendation for perfect scaling, dpi, and available screen real estate is:

24" 4k
27" 5k

Generally take a look at
https://bjango.com/articles/macexternaldisplays/

cavi

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2010
Haifa, Israel
I own LG 27' 4K monitor and it's great. I didn't see 5K monitors in the same size so I'm not in a position to advise if 5K display is or not worth the extra money.
I'm doing a lot of text editing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.