Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmm1345

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 8, 2017
Go to Settings/Apps/TV and Video and turn OFF Fast Start.

What this will do is "force" the ATV download the best quality video Available - not the best video it THINKS THINKS your connection can support. If you are on a fast connection like I am it will take an extra few minutes to buffer your stream but it will give you the highest quality available. Wow the 4K on Transformers and Power Rangers and John Wick looked glorious.

If Fast Start is turned on, it claims to play the best quality available for your stream, but it really doesn't. My broadband is usually a fairly stable 120 MBPS (I use a hardwired connection most of the time) and it still delivers a lower quality stream. But, if Fast Start is turned off it will deliver the highest quality available - no matter what it detects your internet speed is. So you just may have to wait a few minutes before it starts.

Reactions: cynics

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I can verify if I bog my network down its not the best resolution I can get. However I think on my first watch through of iTunes 4k movie I was getting the full 4k, or at least it was high enough that I can't tell a difference turning Fast Start off.

However thanks for pointing this out though. Definitely a feature I will leave off and wait an additional couple of seconds to watch a movie.

EDIT: With Fast Start off I was only getting HD.

Last edited:

vince22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2013
Go to Settings/Apps/TV and Video and turn OFF Fast Start.

What this will do is "force" the ATV download the best quality video Available - not the best video it THINKS THINKS your connection can support. If you are on a fast connection like I am it will take an extra few minutes to buffer your stream but it will give you the highest quality available. Wow the 4K on Transformers and Power Rangers and John Wick looked glorious.

If Fast Start is turned on, it claims to play the best quality available for your stream, but it really doesn't. My broadband is usually a fairly stable 120 MBPS (I use a hardwired connection most of the time) and it still delivers a lower quality stream. But, if Fast Start is turned off it will deliver the highest quality available - no matter what it detects your internet speed is. So you just may have to wait a few minutes before it starts.

i have the opposite results, xfinity 200mpbs, If I turn OFF fast start best available video all my 4k movies plays 1080p, turn ON fast start best available video all my 4k movies play 4k resolution

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
i have the opposite results, xfinity 200mpbs, If I turn OFF fast start best available video all my 4k movies plays 1080p, turn ON fast start best available video all my 4k movies play 4k resolution

Ahh you know what! I am too. Fast Start OFF is playing the HD version for me.

mmm1345

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 8, 2017

It may be different for everyone? I know in my case once I turned it off, I was finally getting the 4K goodness, I'm supposed to get and is almost as good as the UHD Blu-ray in tests.
[doublepost=1507988037][/doublepost]
Ahh you know what! I am too. Fast Start OFF is playing the HD version for me.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.