Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elliskay83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2024
As indicated in the title, my company has given me an absolute/hard capped budget of $4k to purchase a new Macbook Pro. (Public sector and tax exempt.) Absolutely no chance to increase even $1 above $4k. I'm a designer who also regularly works with high resolution photography and videography, so very large file sizes is the norm. Also, I have to admit I'm prone to having a good portion of the Creative Suite open at the same time. With these things in mind, which would you say is the better use of the full funds?

Option 1:
14" MBP, M3 Max, 14 Core, 96GB Ram ($3,999)

Option 2:
16" MBP, M3 Max, 16 Core, 48GB Ram ($3,999)

I'm not super worried about the portability and the extra screen size would be nice for situations where I'm not able to plug into into a monitor. I think my biggest struggle is deciding whether the extra RAM is worth the reduction in cores and screen size.

Have to place my order today! Which way would you go?

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
This is a tough one, because Adobe apps are serious memory hogs on Apple Silicon (the graphical acceleration feature in Adobe apps sucks up unified memory), and a 14" screen is tiny for apps like Photoshop - but arguably so is 16".

Are you currently working on Apple Silicon? If so, how is your memory pressure in Activity Monitor?

I would be inclined to try the 16" with 48GB, and return it in 14 days if memory usage is a problem

Last edited:

elliskay83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2024
Tough one indeed. I should clarify on the portability statement. By that, I' meant I'm not that concerned with the size/weight difference between a 14" and 16" when it comes to portability. But this does need to be a MBP vs something like a Studio because it will be used outside of the office on a regular basis.

We added a team member and right now we're lucky enough to have one MBP to share amongst the group. It's a 16" M1 Max with 64GB of RAM that performs pretty well in most situations. But since we've been given the green light to add a second MBP, we want to take advantage of the opportunity since it's not likely to arrive again anytime soon.

elliskay83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2024
I think my ideal scenario would have been a situation where we could configure a 16" MPB with M3 Max, 14 Core and 64GB of RAM. Unfortunately, it's only possible to get 36GB or 96GB with the 14 core and the upgrade to 16 core/64GB puts me $200 over budget.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Tough one indeed. I should clarify on the portability statement. By that, I' meant I'm not that concerned with the size/weight difference between a 14" and 16" when it comes to portability. But this does need to be a MBP vs something like a Studio because it will be used outside of the office on a regular basis.

We added a team member and right now we're lucky enough to have one MBP to share amongst the group. It's a 16" M1 Max with 64GB of RAM that performs pretty well in most situations. But since we've been given the green light to add a second MBP, we want to take advantage of the opportunity since it's not likely to arrive again anytime soon.
Well, you can see how the memory pressure is on your current MBP.
You can force a high memory pressure condition by entering the following in the Terminal app:

sudo memory_pressure -l warn
(Then enter login password if requested)

In Activity Monitor you can see how much of the 64GB memory needs to be allocated to the memory_pressure process to create a (warning level) high memory pressure condition, while running Adobe apps.

(Close Terminal to terminate the process)

elliskay83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2024
Well, you can see how the memory pressure is on your current MBP.
You can force a high memory pressure condition by entering the following in the Terminal app:

sudo memory_pressure -l warn
(Then enter login password if requested)

In Activity Monitor you can see how much of the 64GB memory needs to be allocated to the memory_pressure process to create a (warning level) high memory pressure condition, while running Adobe apps.

(Close Terminal to terminate the process)
Just opened up Premiere, Photoshop, Indesign, Illustrator and a TON of tabs on Chrome. Set Premiere to export a 5:00 4K clip and watched the pressure rise.

Activity Monitor.png

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Well, if that is how you normally operate, then you would benefit from more RAM. However, if you are opening an unusually high number of apps and tabs to force a high memory pressure, this is not helping to inform you what to choose.

elliskay83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2024
I may not always have quite so many things open as this situation, but it’s not uncommon to be somewhere close to it. Meaning, if I’m in Premiere and After Effects I usually won’t have InDesign open and usually not Photoshop either. When I’m not working on video or animation, I’ll almost always have Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop open/running along with the usual stuff. (Chrome, Acrobat, Spotify, etc.)

So given that this test pushed the machine above the 48GB, I guess I might be forced to go with the smaller 14” with the crazy amount of RAM (96GB) just to be safe and better situated for the long-term?

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
As indicated in the title, my company has given me an absolute/hard capped budget of $4k to purchase a new Macbook Pro. (Public sector and tax exempt.) Absolutely no chance to increase even $1 above $4k. I'm a designer who also regularly works with high resolution photography and videography, so very large file sizes is the norm. Also, I have to admit I'm prone to having a good portion of the Creative Suite open at the same time. With these things in mind, which would you say is the better use of the full funds?

Option 1:
14" MBP, M3 Max, 14 Core, 96GB Ram ($3,999)

Option 2:
16" MBP, M3 Max, 16 Core, 48GB Ram ($3,999)

I'm not super worried about the portability and the extra screen size would be nice for situations where I'm not able to plug into into a monitor. I think my biggest struggle is deciding whether the extra RAM is worth the reduction in cores and screen size.

Have to place my order today! Which way would you go?

Allow me to simplify:

1. Screen size is probably not so important since the work you're doing will generally require a full size monitor. The 14-inch display, being used solely for travel, is therefore unlikely to make a huge difference. Get a cheap travel monitor if you must.

2. With the M3 Max, you're good with 14 cores regardless. The extra two cores are unlikely to significantly decrease your rendering time, so this too is inconsequential.

3. Which brings us to RAM. You WILL notice a HUGE difference when multi-tasking with the added ram.

To me, this is a no brainer: Option 1.

Last edited:

Squirrrrel

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2024
If you need more RAM, then just get the configuration with more RAM. You will deeply regret running out of RAM over losing 2 inches of screen real estate. You can always hook up the laptop to a monitor. You can't increase the RAM later on due to it being part of the SoC.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
If you live near a microcenter, there is a sale going on now. You can grab some of them for 500 off.

16 inch MBP 16/40 Core, 1 TB and 128 GB is 4.4K
16 inch MBP 16/40 Core 1 TB and 96 GB RAM is 3.8 K

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you're using LOTS of heavy-duty, RAM-hogging apps, get the one with the most RAM...

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
I would increase my budget to get the perfect setup. I believe in a no-compromise computing experience. Money is just a number that gets in the way of doing big things.

elliskay83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2024
Don't leave us hanging.

What did you decide?
Went with my gut and the overall sentiment here. Extra RAM won out.

If increasing the budget was an option, I definitely would have gone that route. Even though I knew the answer, I actually asked the finance team if there was any way of eeking out a little extra. But as mentioned above, I’m in the public sector and it wasn’t possible. Honestly, I’m just happy we were able to get this amount approved because it’s by no means a common occurrence.

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
Went with my gut and the overall sentiment here. Extra RAM won out.

If increasing the budget was an option, I definitely would have gone that route. Even though I knew the answer, I actually asked the finance team if there was any way of eeking out a little extra. But as mentioned above, I’m in the public sector and it wasn’t possible. Honestly, I’m just happy we were able to get this amount approved because it’s by no means a common occurrence.
Good choice.

Thanks for sharing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.