Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adrianwilcox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2018
Hi all... I am looking at upgrading my old 2012 Mac Mini and replacing my VERY old Mac Cinema displays. I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with using a 4k UHD TV as a display on the new Mac Mini. I largely work in Photoshop and Lightroom and run two monitors right now and I would love to streamline a bit. I know I'm looking for a television with 4k @ 60Hz with chroma 4.4.4 and very low lag, does anyone have any recommendations? Pros/Cons of a TV vs Monitor?

adrianwilcox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2018
Yeah, that's a little out of the price range I was hoping for. I'd like to stay in the sub-$1000 range.

Bocks

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2015
Nebraska
Hi all... I am looking at upgrading my old 2012 Mac Mini and replacing my VERY old Mac Cinema displays. I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with using a 4k UHD TV as a display on the new Mac Mini. I largely work in Photoshop and Lightroom and run two monitors right now and I would love to streamline a bit. I know I'm looking for a television with 4k @ 60Hz with chroma 4.4.4 and very low lag, does anyone have any recommendations? Pros/Cons of a TV vs Monitor?

I have this one at work and I will be getting it for my home setup. Its a 4K HDR IPS display. Looks amazing.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x720e

chinito77

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2015
Japan
Stick to a monitor for better color management. I have hooked up my mini to my 55" Sony Bravia OLED and ran some UHD/HDR tests but I didn't feel that Mac OS took advantage of the screen real estate. Therefore I use my mini with I a 20" 4K Samsung monitor and things look great.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
Hello there

I have a Panasonic OLED (referenced in signature) connected to the mini. It is not compatible with HDR so I had to buy an Apple TV 4K (with Infuse Pro, awesome app) to take advantage of HDR content.

I have heard about burn-in also with OLED but so far since I bought the TV in October, I haven't seen any. So a LED or LCD might be a better choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.