Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KtothaEvin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2017
Hoping to get some advice on which config to go with to edit 4k drone videos and other 4k video content for my real estate listings. I currently have a 2016 MacBook M7 that seems to take forever to do simple things like stabilize in iMovie. I plan to use final cut to take my content to the next level. What config would make the most sense for me if I want a system that is going to edit 4k content and add effects without any lag or stuttering? I am hoping to use this computer for a minimum of 4 years.

Fusion Drive vs SSD (leaning towards 512gb ssd)
i7 vs i5 (leaning towards i7 but will it make a big difference?)
Gpu 575 vs 580 (leaning towards 580)

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Pockett

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2015
Seeing as how you will use this computer for 4+ years, my suggestion includes the SSD, and the i7 CPU. The SSD helps a LOT when importing videos into iMovie or Final Cut Pro, and the i7 CPU performs much better than the i5 when transcoding video as well as exporting, especially when combined with an SSD. The GPU however, is more debatable, since you likely won't notice any difference between the two. The reason for this is because the 575 has 4 GB of video RAM, which is already adequate for editing and applying effects to 4k footage. You may notice slightly faster exports with the 580, which makes sense since it's only $100 more than the 575. However throughout my experience with Final Cut Pro, video exports still rely heavily on the CPU, so it makes sense that one should invest in the better CPU rather than the GPU, though it's entirely up to the user on how they want to configure their computer.

Last edited:
Reactions: KtothaEvin

KtothaEvin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2017
Seeing as how you will use this computer for 4+ years, my suggestion includes the SSD, and the i7 CPU. The SSD helps a LOT when importing videos into iMovie or Final Cut Pro, and the i7 CPU performs much better than the i5 when transcoding video as well as exporting, especially when combined with an SSD. The GPU however, is more debatable, since you likely won't notice any difference between the two. The reason for this is because the 575 has 4 GB of video RAM, which is already adequate for editing and applying effects to 4k footage. You may notice slightly faster exports with the 580, which makes sense since it's only $100 more than the 575. However throughout my experience with Final Cut Pro, video exports still rely heavily on the CPU, so it makes sense that one should invest in the better CPU rather than the GPU, though it's entirely up to the user on how they want to configure their computer.

Thank you so much for your help!

I think I'll pull the trigger on on the 4.2 i7 with 580 and 512gb ssd.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I agree with @Pockett

Prioritize the SSD, followed by the CPU then the GPU.

The GPU will make more or less of a difference depending on effects. You mention wanting to take your footage to the next level but for real estate I would keep it simple.

Quick fade in and out from whatever color your listings webpage background is and maybe some added stabilization depending on your drone.

Maybe if I can recommend some stuff to you as a home buyer and drone "operator" that looked at tons of real estate drone footage. Start your footage street side where the potential buyer will see the house first. Make the address, brokerage name and number persist on the video, legible but not distracting. Try to keep it on one single cut to prevent the viewer from losing orientation of where they are seeing the house. If one cut isn't possible use a clear and obvious transition between them (for example not cross dissolve again for orientation) and consider labeling the view point it necessary. Don't get too close or zoom too far in. Don't make it too long especially if there is something of interest to see in the back or something. Just keep it simple and classy.

iMovie with any GPU is fine for the above. However if you use iMovie minimize the generic stock titles (people know where they are from).

Some of the videos I saw were absolutely pointless. Like flying 10 feet from the house in a place I could literally stand. Or starting in the backyard because there is a pool or something (admittedly this may keep some watching). Or transitioning around to the point I wasn't even sure if it was the same house as the beginning of the video. Or not having and address and then not listing it properly.

Reactions: KtothaEvin

KtothaEvin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2017
I agree with @Pockett

Prioritize the SSD, followed by the CPU then the GPU.

The GPU will make more or less of a difference depending on effects. You mention wanting to take your footage to the next level but for real estate I would keep it simple.

Quick fade in and out from whatever color your listings webpage background is and maybe some added stabilization depending on your drone.

Maybe if I can recommend some stuff to you as a home buyer and drone "operator" that looked at tons of real estate drone footage. Start your footage street side where the potential buyer will see the house first. Make the address, brokerage name and number persist on the video, legible but not distracting. Try to keep it on one single cut to prevent the viewer from losing orientation of where they are seeing the house. If one cut isn't possible use a clear and obvious transition between them (for example not cross dissolve again for orientation) and consider labeling the view point it necessary. Don't get too close or zoom too far in. Don't make it too long especially if there is something of interest to see in the back or something. Just keep it simple and classy.

iMovie with any GPU is fine for the above. However if you use iMovie minimize the generic stock titles (people know where they are from).

Some of the videos I saw were absolutely pointless. Like flying 10 feet from the house in a place I could literally stand. Or starting in the backyard because there is a pool or something (admittedly this may keep some watching). Or transitioning around to the point I wasn't even sure if it was the same house as the beginning of the video. Or not having and address and then not listing it properly.
Wow, this was very helpful! Really appreciate it! It's sort of become a hobby now so I won't be surprised if I try videos that are not limited to only real estate. I could probably get away with the 575 but it ends up only being roughly $100 more to go with the 580.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
You might want to wait and see what the iMac Pro has to offer when it's released later this year, it all depends on how much 4K editing you do and what programmes you run, Final Cut X? Photoshop? Adobe Premiere? and of course the work load that you do, obviously someone who edits videos in Final Cut X is going to need more power than someone who edits small videos in iMovie for fun.

Reactions: USAntigoon

KtothaEvin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2017
You might want to wait and see what the iMac Pro has to offer when it's released later this year, it all depends on how much 4K editing you do and what programmes you run, Final Cut X? Photoshop? Adobe Premiere? and of course the work load that you do, obviously someone who edits videos in Final Cut X is going to need more power than someone who edits small videos in iMovie for fun.
I think the iMac pro (although beautiful) will be too much computer for me. And too much price lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.