Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TEFGAF

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2024
NW Pennsylvania
This is my first posting and exposure to Apple products and I am having issues with USB devices that pose no problem with my Win 10 laptops. I am using Big Sur installed on NVME drive via Open Core Legacy. I am using recommended RX 580 GPU and generic PCI USB card. All USB ports are functioning but do not recognize Logitech webcam nor Canon Lide 110 scanner. Other USB device (such as thumb drives, keyboard and mouse) work without problem. Also, for webcam, I have relaxed security so webcam is not blocked. FYI, when 5,1 arrived it had High Sierra and it did recognize scanner, but not webcam.

I'd appreciate any feed back on what I might do to resolve USB problem.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Big Sur removed support for USB 1. Use a USB 2 hub between your cMP and your USB devices.

USB 1.0/1.1 devices are still supported, even with Apple Silicon or Sonoma, you can't remove support for USB1.0/1.1 devices since most human interface devices like KB/mice are USB1.0/1.1.

What Apple removed in steps starting with Big Sur was the support for the ancient Intel dual mode OHCI/EHCI controllers, more specifically the OHCI part. The OHCI controller is the one that connects to USB 1.0/1.1 devices, while the EHCI connects to USB 2.0 devices.

Since EHCI was still supported with Big Sur and Monterey, if you connect your device via a USB hub, forcing EHCI, the devices now work as expected.

Reactions: TEFGAF and sfalatko

TEFGAF

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2024
NW Pennsylvania
Not to belabor the issue, but I have installed an inexpensive USB 2.0 hub and the problem remains (only USB mouse, keyboard and memory sticks function). Should a USB hub have its own power source or some other feature? Does anyone have a brand and model number for USB hubs that have proven successful?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Not to belabor the issue, but I have installed an inexpensive USB 2.0 hub and the problem remains (only USB mouse, keyboard and memory sticks function). Should a USB hub have its own power source or some other feature? Does anyone have a brand and model number for USB hubs that have proven successful?

For the devices that do not work, you are sure that modern macOS releases support it?

Also, some devices require USB power and you need a powered USB hub. MacPro5,1 native USB ports are known to not correctly power some devices.

TEFGAF

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2024
NW Pennsylvania
The Canon Lide 110 scanner appeared in the High Sierra's printer/scanner utility and function without any support drivers. The Logitech webcam is about as universal as it gets. However, no matter the OS, has never been recognized by my 5,1.

Relative to USB hubs, it occurred to me that a mechanical device like a scanner may require more power than a Mac can provide via its (rather primitive) USB.

Thanks again for your continued support.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
The Canon Lide 110 scanner appeared in the High Sierra's printer/scanner utility and function without any support drivers. The Logitech webcam is about as universal as it gets. However, no matter the OS, has never been recognized by my 5,1.

Relative to USB hubs, it occurred to me that a mechanical device like a scanner may require more power than a Mac can provide via its (rather primitive) USB.

Thanks again for your continued support.

Scanners usually have its own power supply and normally do not require power from the USB.

I'm inclined to think that is just an issue of drivers not available for the macOS release you are testing now, since scanners depend on drivers/kexts. Some are only supported up to a determined macOS release, looking with Cannon support, Lide 110 works up to Catalina:

Screen Shot 2024-02-28 at 11.21.15.png

Reactions: TEFGAF

TEFGAF

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2024
NW Pennsylvania
The Canon Lide 110 is pure USB powered. No other cables are involved. Sad to hear that it became obsolete with OS Catalina. Just out of curiosity, what USB webcam works with Big Sur or Monterey on a 5,1?

Once again thanks for your assistance.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
The Canon Lide 110 is pure USB powered. No other cables are involved. Sad to hear that it became obsolete with OS Catalina.

Easy to solve, have a disk with Mojave, or something else that still supports it, and a powered hub. Boot it when you need to scan something.

Just out of curiosity, what USB webcam works with Big Sur or Monterey on a 5,1?

Once again thanks for your assistance.

I only have cameras with my MacBookPros/iMac, never needed one for my Mac Pros. Maybe someone can help you with that.

OurFather

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2024
USA
I am original owner of an ~2009 vintage Logitech 2MP Webcam C600 that continues to work with anything and everything I connect it to—currently a Mac Pro 5,1 with High Sierra, Mojave and Monterey; apps FaceTime, Google Meet, PhotoBooth, Zoom. It's plugged into a USB port in the monitor it sits on.

Last edited:

TEFGAF

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2024
NW Pennsylvania
My Logitech webcam is much older than the C600. However, your response makes me wonder if I need a later model. Just curious how a USB port on your monitor interfaces with your Mac Pro. Are you using an HDMI cable from the video card to the monitor? From what I understand, DVI and Display Port cables are oneway directional. I am thinking that the monitor is performing as a USB powered hub and evoking the ECHI needed for the camera to function. Perhaps Alex could verify this.

OurFather

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2024
USA
My Logitech webcam is much older than the C600. However, your response makes me wonder if I need a later model. Just curious how a USB port on your monitor interfaces with your Mac Pro. Are you using an HDMI cable from the video card to the monitor? From what I understand, DVI and Display Port cables are oneway directional. I am thinking that the monitor is performing as a USB powered hub and evoking the ECHI needed for the camera to function. Perhaps Alex could verify this.
Yes, I am using an HDMI cable. And I think you're correct about the monitor hub—the user guide says it is USB 2.0, and the downstream ports only work if the upstream port is connected to the computer. System Information reports USB Bus > Hub > Miscellaneous Device > Vendor ID: 0x046d (Logitech Inc.)

TEFGAF

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2024
NW Pennsylvania
Thanks for the tips on Canon scanner and Logitech camera. As for the latter, I found a C615 for a few bucks on ebay and it works fine with USB 2.0 powered hub. My next project is downgrading from Big Sur to High Sierra that will recognize the scanner. If not, I'll explore VueScan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.