Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nightwatch45

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2021
Have Mac Pro 5,1 that I’m having problems booting. It loads is to about 3/4 on progress bar and stalls.

Have recently installed open core legacy patcher to run big sur and does the same using open core boot picker.

Ok this is what I’ve tried so far
Reset pram, changed battery on main board, ran Apple diagnostics hardware test - only thing that boots - ok with three passes on extended.

Checked drives on another Mac - all report ok.

Tried to boot from usb mojave installer boot disc ( made on another Mac) stalls at same point.

If you try to boot verbose just loads a small amount then reboots.

Reset SMC.

Any ideas what else I could try? Could it be anything to do with open core legacy patcher - although I’ve removed all drives and just tried to boot from usb stick.

Apple say it’s too old to repair so running out of ideas. Would it be worth trying a different gpu?

Any help gratefully received.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
What is your Mac Pro configuration?

What is the model of the METAL GPU you have?

Some PC GPUs flashed with Mac EFI for pre-boot configuration support are problematic with OpenCore, usually the issue is old NVIDIA ones like flashed GTX 680s. Also you could have a defective GPU, did you tested it with a PC?

Nightwatch45

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2021
What is your Mac Pro configuration?

What is the model of the METAL GPU you have?

Some PC GPUs flashed with Mac EFI for pre-boot configuration support are problematic with OpenCore, usually the issue is old NVIDIA ones like flashed GTX 680s. Also you could have a defective GPU, did you tested it with a PC?
Yep was gpu - switched it and everything booted ok. Thank you everyone for the help much appreciated

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.