Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Whiteapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
Haute Savoie,France
Hello all,

I am now ready to buy a MacPro, for digital photography purposes.
But I would also like to be able to have great quality sound, (it doesnt need to be real professional though, but I like good sound)

My currentsetup:

Pc with Audigy 2ZS Platinum Pro

Mini-Jack to XLR:
2 x Yamaha MSP5 Active Studio Monitors (Front)
1 x Alto M4A Active Studio Monitor (Center)
1 x Yamaha SW10 Active Subwoofer

Mini-jack to coaxial analog (L+R)
2 x Mission mid-size Hi-Fi speakers connected to Marrantz stereo tuner. (rear)

There, now I'm getting rid of this PC, i'm still keeping the speakers of course.

I was thinking of some case in which you enter through optical in (5.1) and which distributes your signal to your 6 speakers (preferably XLR or Jack)

Do any of you have any suggestions on how to experience a convicing DTS and DD 5.1 (EX maybe) sound on your mac (in this case MacPro) ? Thank you for any information, it willl be fully appreciated :)

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Look for an interface from m-audio, or other products like that. The macs do all have a toslink (5.1) out, but that has to go to a receiver, or similar, which then goes to the 5.1 speakers. It is just a single digital line.
Your best bet is to probably get an external I/O box from m-audio. They have hookups to regular powered speakers, like the outs of your audigy 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.