Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
Hi. I have an airport extreme and airport express.

I use VLC on an old iPad connected to a projector at one side of the room, which uses airplay to stream the audio across to the other side of the room to the airport express connected to a Sony BDV-E370 via an optical cable.

The best I can get is LPCM Stereo, even with AC3 soundtracks. So, for some reason, VLC is not passing through AC3, or the airport express is converting it to a Stereo LPCM stream.

I tried using an Apple TV HD set to output Dolby Digital 5.1 and a Macbook, but using VLC or any other app, it will only play LPCM stereo over Airplay.

If I connect the Macbook direct using an Optical cable, I can get Dolby Digital, DTS, etc. So the amp does recognise the audio streams.

So, from my investigation, I think airplay is the weakest link.

Any suggestions or apps that may stream 5.1 over Airplay?

Thanks in advance! :)

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
Just tried every option possible on an Apple TV HD, using VLC and a AC3 track enabled or spdif passthrough enabled, no Dolby Digital. I suspect the issue is the Airport express and those who say they have 5.1, actually have pro logic II.

Thoughts?

Dandu

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2009
You can't

AirPlay change every input to ALAC before sending the information to the AirPort.

It will work with DTS, by the way, if you have a DT encapsulated into "WAV" like CD Audio DTS or LaserDisc.

Reactions: honglong1976

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
You can't

AirPlay change every input to ALAC before sending the information to the AirPort.

It will work with DTS, by the way, if you have a DT encapsulated into "WAV" like CD Audio DTS or LaserDisc.
Thanks.

I tried so many audio types and everything is ALAC. I didn’t know about DTS though and have an audio CD I can try.

I wonder if 5.1 is output when using an Apple TV in place of the Airport Express (which also depends on VLC actually streaming the track in 5.1).

Infuse 6 is supposed to airplay 5.1 but it’s a subscription priced app, soI will pass on that.

wonder if any other apps do 5.1?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.