Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kooki9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2018
Switzerland
Hello and happy new year to all!

So I got this mac pro 5.1 (it's new to me) and I used to run a lot of externals on my mac mini. So removed a hard drive from the LACIE Porche ext external drive and slipped it into the slot. But I get an error message on the startup and whilst trying to format it.

The disk is too large to be supported by the given partition scheme.
Operation failed…

It's a 6gb drive., not going to be a boot disk, just a media drive. I am not the most tech savvy, but I can get around a bit. Is there an easy fix for this?

I am running MAC Mojave if that helps?

Also, since I updated to Mojave tonight, my speakers aren't working (it seems to think there are no speakers attached or something (when I click the volume up/down on the keyboard). Not sure why?

Thanks!

Kerim

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
my speakers aren't working (it seems to think there are no speakers attached or something (when I click the volume up/down on the keyboard). Not sure why?

Thanks!

Kerim

Did you checked what output is active?

Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 20.38.34.png

Kooki9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2018
Switzerland
Did you checked what output is active?

View attachment 815344

Ha actually I did about 30 mins ago and now it works for the internal speakers! - But actually what I can't figure out is getting audio out of the Ben Q monitor through the jack port. - It doesn't have speakers itself, but has the output. - And it's connected through HDMI, so it should be bumping out some sound.

BTW, I got the Radeon 580 as you recommended (think it was you). - It was fricken was a pain to slide into the slot. I've noticed a little lag with some video at the moment, but I need to test it properly in the morning. But makes LR and images load up much quicker for sure.

Oh and I got round to installing Mojave on the SSD. - Boots much faster for sure.

I've been a busy person tonight. :)

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Ha actually I did about 30 mins ago and now it works for the internal speakers! - But actually what I can't figure out is getting audio out of the Ben Q monitor through the jack port. - It doesn't have speakers itself, but has the output. - And it's connected through HDMI, so it should be bumping out some sound.

To get HDMI and DisplayPort sound you have to do this: HDMI / Displayport audio fix

BTW, I got the Radeon 580 as you recommended (think it was you). - It was fricken was a pain to slide into the slot. I've noticed a little lag with some video at the moment, but I need to test it properly in the morning. But makes LR and images load up much quicker for sure.

Oh and I got round to installing Mojave on the SSD. - Boots much faster for sure.

I've been a busy person tonight. :)

I have a Sapphire Pulse 580 too and I had to rearrange the internals of my Mac Pro, changed the HighPoint SSD7101 to slot 1, GPU to slot 2, USB3.0 to slot 4. I've lost slot 3, but at least got good air circulation and no card hitting one another.

Reactions: crjackson2134

Kooki9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2018
Switzerland
To get HDMI and DisplayPort sound you have to do this: HDMI / Displayport audio fix

I have a Sapphire Pulse 580 too and I had to rearrange the internals of my Mac Pro, changed the HighPoint SSD7101 to slot 1, GPU to slot 2, USB3.0 to slot 4. I've lost slot 3, but at least got good air circulation and no card hitting one another.

I and trying to understand that other thread, and for now, don't understand what to do. :) Think I might have to go back to it.

Kooki9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2018
Switzerland
I managed to fix the hard drive issue. I tried formatting (like before) but that didn't work again. I read on the web (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6774631) that you could get it working with a partitioned drive. - So I did that. It worked but killed 4tb of a 6tb drive. And then I formatted it again with an Apple Journaled Format (the only that seemed to work (didn't like exFat for some reason). And seems to work fine now.

I still need to understand the thread about making it work through HDMI. - Not that it's really needed, just be nicer to have my headphones connected to my screen rather than the base unit.

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.