Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AnimeFunTv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2009
San Antonio
So.... I usually leave my MacPro on 24/7 so I hardly reboot unless I need to update. One thing I noticed when rebooting is the startup chime, I never hear it. It didn't occur to me before.

I did a nvram reset and I hear the chime and it boots all fine, but once I do an another reboot or shutdown and power on, still no chime.

Still further I did sudo nvram StartupMute=%00 and still nothing.

Any guesses to why?

EDIT: Never mind, come to find out it was my audio settings at fault.

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Mac Pros that were flashed to the bugged MP51.0087.B00 lost the chime forever, don't matter if you updated to any other version.

For Mac Pros that had MP51.0087.B00, the problem is permanent and the only solution is to reconstruct the BootROM from the current dump.

AnimeFunTv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2009
San Antonio
Mac Pros that were flashed to the bugged MP51.0087.B00 lost the chime forever, don't matter if you updated to any other version.

For Mac Pros that had MP51.0087.B00, the problem is permanent and the only solution is to reconstruct the BootROM from the current dump.

My Bootrom is 144.0.0.0.0, when I first got my Mac Pro I knew I had the chime (this was during the time I was updating from 4,1 to 5,1) But it was only recently that I noticed it wasn't chiming upon boot or reboot.

It was audio settings that was the culprit, I have my audio out via digital optical out and sound effects to "Selected sound output device"

I set the audio out and sound effects back to the internal speaker. reboot, and got the chime back.

I set the audio out and sound effects back to digital out, reboot, chime is still there, for now at least. lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.