Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3ric4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2023
Howdy y'all, I recently updated to OCLP 1.4.3 and Sonoma 14.4.1 on my MacPro 5,1

The patch and update took a few attempts, and ultimately creating a new boot USB and re-installing to the newest OCLP was the easiest way.

However, it seems like the wifi is extremely inconsistent and slow, which I don't remember before. I'm getting 50-150mb/s download on wifi, and 800mb/s when plugged into the ethernet. The router is just a few feet away.

My wifi card is - Apple A1419 A1418 Broadcom BCM943602CDP WiFi 802.11ac Bluetooth Card

Any help is appreciated!

-Eric

Last edited:

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I have found macOS WiFI performance lacking even on modern systems like my Studio. I am not sure, what's up with that.

More frustratingly, it often chooses Wi-Fi over ethernet even when the order is set. I see glacial copies from my NAS, then have to turn off WiFi, and start again to force the wired connection. But you do need WiFi enabled for Continuity, etc.

"Customer Feedback" (bug reports) have been sent into the void...

My CMPro is in another room and wired to a MeshPoint. That is a lot faster than the built-on and updated card.

3ric4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2023
It was a surprisingly simple fix! Updated 'Chrome' and that solved the unbearably slow speeds. Now I'm getting 600mb/s thru my broadcom wifi card.

Next step for the 5,1 is a windows install, but I'm going to do some research on that process to avoid any bios issues.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Next step for the 5,1 is a windows install, but I'm going to do some research on that process to avoid any bios issues.

The most important part, to avoid firmware blues, is to backup the firmware. In case you will get it signed accidently you can go back.

I wrote a tool, the Dumper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.