Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mic&Pon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2023
In a previous post I had mistakenly indicated High Sierra as the current operating system when I should have written Yosemite. I purchased the PRO WX 5100 8G GPU which was recommended to me if I want to have fewer power supply problems. I would like to know if I have to install the new GPU before or after upgrading to High Sierra (do I still have to install El Capitan before High Sierra or can I do it directly?) And up to which Mac OS can I upgrade before using Open Core Legacy to use the latest system updates? Thank you

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
In a previous post I had mistakenly indicated High Sierra as the current operating system when I should have written Yosemite. I purchased the PRO WX 5100 8G GPU which was recommended to me if I want to have fewer power supply problems. I would like to know if I have to install the new GPU before or after upgrading to High Sierra (do I still have to install El Capitan before High Sierra or can I do it directly?) And up to which Mac OS can I upgrade before using Open Core Legacy to use the latest system updates? Thank you

Polaris GPUs are only supported with 10.12.6 and newer releases, you can't run Yosemite accelerated with a AMD Radeon Pro WX5100 nor with your previous VEGA 64, the display will not work.

You need to upgrade to a supported macOS release (understand that as a version that supports the GPU) previously to installing the GPU.

High Sierra requires a Mac Pro firmware update, you Mac Pro needs to have at least MP51.0089.B00, see AboutMyMac/SystemReport/HardwareOverview/Boot ROM Version to know the current BootROM firmware version.

See the first post of the thread below to know the requirements and pitfalls of Mac Pro BootROM upgrades:

If you gonna run only up to High Sierra, you can stop the BootROM upgrades with MP51.0089.B00, if you gonna run Mojave or unsupported releases, you need to upgrade to 144.0.0.0.0.

Mojave is the most recent macOS release officially supported with a MacPro5,1.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mic&Pon

Mic&Pon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2023
Polaris GPUs are only supported with 10.12.6 and newer releases, you can't run Yosemite accelerated with a AMD Radeon Pro WX5100 nor with your previous VEGA 64, the display will not work.

You need to upgrade to a supported macOS release (understand that as a version that supports the GPU) previously to installing the GPU.

High Sierra requires a Mac Pro firmware update, you Mac Pro needs to have at least MP51.0089.B00, see AboutMyMac/SystemReport/HardwareOverview/Boot ROM Version to know the current BootROM firmware version.

See the first post of the thread below to know the requirements and pitfalls of Mac Pro BootROM upgrades:

If you gonna run only up to High Sierra, you can stop the BootROM upgrades with MP51.0089.B00, if you gonna run Mojave or unsupported releases, you need to upgrade to 144.0.0.0.0.

Mojave is the most recent macOS release officially supported with a MacPro5,1.
Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.