Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Going to run a few days and see if I can get back in top 5 and bump our team up a notch or two, maybe.

Running 1 card at the moment.

Just wish they opened GPU folding for mac users, egpu is a thing these days.

Reactions: ingenious

iAssimilated

Contributor
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW
I didn't know Macrumors had a Folding@home team until today, so I've joined. I've had my 2014 mini using extra cpu cycles working on Folding@home for the last year. Recently I started using my 2013 Pro's extra cycles on World Community Grid. I know I am not contributing much, but I would rather my systems work on something valuable instead of nothing.

Reactions: mmomega

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I haven't been folding in some time but I plan on running 1 or 2 and see what they do.

I know the team number is kind of difficult to find so I'll post it randomly if anyone is interested in folding for macrumors.
Macrumors Team # 3446
Team Stats sorted by user: https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_list.php?s=&t=3446

The one 3080 Ti is currently showing 4,973,405 a day. We'll see after a couple days.

**Edits: Added the 3090 FE, it is currently showing around 5-6 million a day.
The 3080 Ti is showing between 5-6 million a day.
I may try the 3060 in a bit.
I would add my sons 3080 but he'd have to be off of the computer long enough for it to finish a job cycle.

On the competitive side, someone knocked me out of the top 5 contributors on our team and that just isn't going to stay that way for long. :D:D

When I started I think we were around 35 or 40 out of all teams and now we are down to 115 currently. I think we can get back into the top 100.

Last edited:
Reactions: iAssimilated

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Whew:!!
Made it back into the top 5 on our team.
I am going to try and get the 2 3090's, the 3080Ti and a couple more cards Folding this evening.
It may be tomorrow before they are all going.
At the moment I jsut have 2 cars folding.

Roughly 20 years for me to catch our #1 folder :D SteveMoody. Only 4 billion or so if he stopped to let me 'catch up' lol.

Thanks everyone currently chugging away for MacRumors team!
Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 2.52.31 PM.png

iAssimilated

Contributor
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW
Whew:!!
Made it back into the top 5 on our team.
I am going to try and get the 2 3090's, the 3080Ti and a couple more cards Folding this evening.
It may be tomorrow before they are all going.
At the moment I jsut have 2 cars folding.

Roughly 20 years for me to catch our #1 folder :D SteveMoody. Only 4 billion or so if he stopped to let me 'catch up' lol.

Thanks everyone currently chugging away for MacRumors team!

Are you running Folding@home on a Windows box? I have linux on my 2012 Mac Pro, but haven't decided if I want to put F@h on it (it is currently running World Community Grid as well). Also not sure how much F@h would tax my 980Ti (since I do use this box for gaming).

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Are you running Folding@home on a Windows box? I have linux on my 2012 Mac Pro, but haven't decided if I want to put F@h on it (it is currently running World Community Grid as well). Also not sure how much F@h would tax my 980Ti (since I do use this box for gaming).
Yes on Windows.
When I first started Folding I was using SLI 980 Ti's, still have them today but they haven't been used for folding in quite some time, well since I got the 1080 Ti and it was doing almost as much on it's own as the other 2 combined. But they definitely work well, this was back shortly after the 980Ti's came out and they folded day in day out sitting in a corner of my office, now one of them is in my nephews gaming computer and the other is actually un-used but I plan on trying to let it go back to work soon.
I did have mine water cooled at the time just because they produced quite a bit of heat but with 2 of them packed inside a rather small case that was to be expected.

If you have anymore questions feel free...

Reactions: iAssimilated
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.