Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gamoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
Since the new iPod Touch has bluetooth, I'm wondering: Can it connect to a bluetooth keyboard? I know this sounds a little silly, but it would be a major selling point for me.

That would be mean you could connect the Touch via AirPlay to a display and use a BT keyboard to type up a report or letter. That would be one sweet deal.

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Since the new iPod Touch has bluetooth, I'm wondering: Can it connect to a bluetooth keyboard? I know this sounds a little silly, but it would be a major selling point for me.

That would be mean you could connect the Touch via AirPlay to a display and use a BT keyboard to type up a report or letter. That would be one sweet deal.

I don't see why not.

Found this article on Apple:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1664?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

4th Gen's support bluetooth keyboards so I expect the 5th gens to do the same.

There you have it :)

I've been using one with my 4th gen for the last few months and would definitely recommend it! When it's connected the on screen keyboard disappears allowing you to see the full screen. It also allows you to control stuff like brightness, volume, and your music without having to leave the app you're using.

The Apple one is 60 quid but if you don't want to pay that, the one I got was only £13 off Amazon. In comparison it's cheap and tacky but it works perfectly, and I'm still using the same AA batteries I put in 3 months ago.

If/when this one dies I'll get an Apple one, as the battery lasts for 9 months and is made of stronger stuff.

One thing though, be prepared for dodgy looks when using it in public!

Gamoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
I've been using one with my 4th gen for the last few months and would definitely recommend it! When it's connected the on screen keyboard disappears allowing you to see the full screen. It also allows you to control stuff like brightness, volume, and your music without having to leave the app you're using.

Very nice!

The Apple one is 60 quid but if you don't want to pay that, the one I got was only £13 off Amazon. In comparison it's cheap and tacky but it works perfectly, and I'm still using the same AA batteries I put in 3 months ago.

If/when this one dies I'll get an Apple one, as the battery lasts for 9 months and is made of stronger stuff.

I have an old full-sized Apple one (pre-low-profile keys) that still works great. I'll probably just use that if I get the new Touch (I'm still iffy considering its pricey)

One thing though, be prepared for dodgy looks when using it in public!

Haha! I bet. Question, though: How do you place the Touch so that you can see the screen and still type. You just stand it up horizontally? I'm wondering if that can even be done with the new ones, considering they're much thinner. What about typing on the sofa or in bed? Or is a table pretty much a prerequisite?

I have an old full-sized Apple one (pre-low-profile keys) that still works great. I'll probably just use that if I get the new Touch (I'm still iffy considering its pricey)
There's no stopping me updating, it's still pricey but I'll set that off against selling my 4th gen. The specs are just too much of a prospect to say no to!

How do you place the Touch so that you can see the screen and still type. You just stand it up horizontally? I'm wondering if that can even be done with the new ones, considering they're much thinner. What about typing on the sofa or in bed? Or is a table pretty much a prerequisite?

I use a Joby GorillaPod Mobile edition - it's just so ludicrously versatile I feel blessed to own it (and it's big brother SLR version)! It allows me to use it anywhere at all - in the car (as a passenger) wrapped around the door handle, on the train, on the bus, in bed, on the sofa; anywhere. If I ever pop into the pub for a swift quiet pint after work, and I haven't got the GorillaPod with me, I'll just prop it up against my wallet or something. Very highly recommended.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.