Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

happydog500

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2016
My friend owns a business and I was helping him clean out the back of the store. It was a mess. He had computers, tablets, all kinds of stuff. His wife found a bag with 5 iPad and 5 iPhone. She asked if I wanted it.

These are from past employees when they quit or get fired (they go through a lot of employees). If they let someone go, they turn in their phones and pads.

After the employees leave, some are mad and won't give them the passwords. Lets take one for an example;

It's a 10.2 ipad 8th gen, 128 GB Wi-Fi/Cellular. Has a 4 digital pass. We tried a few it could be but it didn't work.

I don't care about any data on it, I'l like to get it to factory new. Is there a way to restore to factory new if I don't know the code?

Thank you,
CH

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
My friend owns a business and I was helping him clean out the back of the store. It was a mess. He had computers, tablets, all kinds of stuff. His wife found a bag with 5 iPad and 5 iPhone. She asked if I wanted it.

These are from past employees when they quit or get fired (they go through a lot of employees). If they let someone go, they turn in their phones and pads.

After the employees leave, some are mad and won't give them the passwords. Lets take one for an example;

It's a 10.2 ipad 8th gen, 128 GB Wi-Fi/Cellular. Has a 4 digital pass. We tried a few it could be but it didn't work.

I don't care about any data on it, I'l like to get it to factory new. Is there a way to restore to factory new if I don't know the code?

Thank you,
CH
If its registered via iCloud to the current user and your friend hasn't been using ABM so that the device is tied to him there is no way other than if he can produce the receipt for the buy and then you contact Apple sending them a copy of it. It should clearly state the S/N as well. Then Apple can "release" the device so that you can reset it.

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
You can wipe all the devices in DFU mode but if FindMy is currently switched on, the device can't be activated. Apple can remove that with proof of purchase.

Reactions: Reverend Benny
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.