Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
dogbone said:
would they be better speakers than [...]
only you can answer that, until you ask if they're better than, say, adam s3-a's. then i'll say, "no, the adams are better".

you won't know until you mix through them a bunch of times.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
@Dogbone

That's not a particularly promising response graph, in fact it's pretty poor.

Get a pair of Samson Resolv 50As. Stunning monitors for the price (£250 here in the UK). I've been using them for ages and they're great. They don't like playing REALLY loud, but they go loud enough for me to test my mixes.

Nice flat response curve, but at lower volumes the treble is quite laid back, so you can listen to them for ages as long as you keep the volume below 50%.

I'd run the volume control on the back at around half. Oh yeah, they're active too, dunno if that's what you're looking for...

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Thanks Killyp,

I couldn't go out today because it was raining but the place I'm going has some samson stuff so I'll check it out.

I notice that they also come with an optional matched sub. One thing I've been wondering is how a sub is connected to monitors. Does a soundcard have a separate input for a sub? Also where should a sub be positioned with regards to nearfield monitors.

Also should I look at the Samson65a as well, without a sub.

I don't know how much more of this comparing I can take.

EDIT:
I guess the 's' in your 50as title stood for sub?

I've just found out that I can get the samson 65a (no sub) for about the same price as the Event ALP's. I'll definitely give these a listen to.

The appear to get slightly better reviews too. I don't feel happy about the dough I'd have to spend to get the 50a plus 88 sub.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
No lmao, the S is for plural :D :D :D

The sub would be a good investment. As a personal preference, I am not the biggest fan of them, but I think they are better than having no LF extension.

As for connecting a sub, there are different ways (many of them) of doing it. Personally, I prefer to use a BUS out on the desk which has dual outs. My little behringer has this (I'm upgrading to a Yamaha RM800 soon, which also has this), so on the ALT 3+4 outs, there are two output connections, one set that I run to the speakers, and the other set I run to a subwoofer. Seeing as the speakers are active, I have complete control of the volume of every speaker in the system...

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
oh right 'plural'. Hmmm, what a coincidence that they happen to be advertised as a 2.1 and are sold as a set.

But I'll check out the 65a's

Anyhoo...I probably won't be getting a sub at the moment but If I do, would I then need a hardware mixer or something. All I've got at now is a presonus firebox with main outs. (see picture). Or does a sub go in a couple of the line outs?

Attachments

• fireboxrear.jpg
    fireboxrear.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 123

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
You could always just get some cables made up which go from one to...... two! :cool:

cschreppel

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2006
Boston, MA
If you're only going for new monitors, get the KRKs. They make great stuff.

However, if you're okay with getting something used, check out the M-Audio BX5's....NOT the BX5a's. The BX5s have a lot of adjustments on the back that the BX5a's don't have.

I've been mixing a few albums on them and they translate really well to other systems. The KRKs are great too, but I'm sure you can find a newer pair of the original BX5s (or BX8's if you want bigger ones) for $200-$300 depending on the model.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Killyp said:
You could always just get some cables made up which go from one to...... two!

Is that OK to put the sub and mid in one and the other mid in the other?

cschreppel said:
If you're only going for new monitors, get the KRKs. They make great stuff.

However, if you're okay with getting something used, check out the M-Audio BX5's....NOT the BX5a's. The BX5s have a lot of adjustments on the back that the BX5a's don't have.

I've been mixing a few albums on them and they translate really well to other systems. The KRKs are great too, but I'm sure you can find a newer pair of the original BX5s (or BX8's if you want bigger ones) for $200-$300 depending on the model.

Funny you should say that because I've been leaning more towards a krk rp6 which I'll also be able to hear where I'm going. That's interesting news about the bx5a because I've been looking at that recently as well due to the kevlar cone and silk tweeter. I've come across two types of bx5's and I couldn't tell what the difference was as they have the same specs but maybe it's that one is a bx5 and the other a bx5a, if it is I think I may have found someone who is getting rid of their bx5 for the same price, brand new. Was the bx5 dearer than the bx5a?

Anyway here is a shot of them can you confirm that the top one is a bx5 and the bottom a bx5a?

If the top one is a bx5 I can get that for the same price as a krk rp5 would it be a better monitor?

looks like the top ones have polyprop cones not kevlar but they both have silk tweeter.

Attachments

• 0b_1_b.jpg
    0b_1_b.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 123

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Finally found a site with reviews I feel I can trust

It took a week and my eyes are bleeding but it was worth it. I'm really fed up with reading the zzsounds type of comments or reviews. Same goes for the many forums I've looked at.

My gut reaction is that I can trust these reviews, it entails using the word 'monitors' in the Firefox search field and going through page by page. I've found a review for the rokit RP5's on page eight that is quite different to anything else I've read. And even though I'm not after a pair of KRK V8 series II, their review of these monitors was relevant because it explains the difference between the series I and II. I was thinking of buying some V4's on eBay and shipping them over but I realised they are series I and I thought the starting price was too dear at $300 USD, I would have bought them though for $200 USD with $120 to ship.

There's a used pair in good nick of V6's that I'm considering as well if I can get them for $400 with $200 shipping.

I'm still plowing through all the pages and hopefully will come across some other reviews of products I'm interested in but most of the monitors are in the high end category. However it was still interesting to read these reviews and definitely gave me that fuzzy trusting feeling. They seemed unbiased and factual, without that 'fanboy' quality.

edit: unfortunately there are no other reviews for the low end monitors I'm considering.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Thanks, I did find that out with some furious searching this morning :).

These are being considered but I am confused about you suggesting the bx5 instead of the a version. The A seems newer and also has a kevlar woofer. I understand that the bx5 does have those extra switches but I wouldn't really get much use out of them as I don't understand enought yet. Apart from the extra switch options would you say the BX5a would be a better unit or are there other reasons for you suggeting the older model?

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
dogbone said:
kevlar woofer.
i'm failed to be impressed by that, unless you're planning on shooting it. i'd just like to reiterate that materials and charts and reviews and buttons mean **** all in light of hearing it.

i understand that one must narrow one's choices, but i get the impression you're concentrating on the wrong things.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
zimv20 said:
i'm failed to be impressed by that, unless you're planning on shooting it. i'd just like to reiterate that materials and charts and reviews and buttons mean **** all in light of hearing it.

i understand that one must narrow one's choices, but i get the impression you're concentrating on the wrong things.

Yes, that's a fair point. But I sort of realise that a listening test is not going to be that good because I guess all the monitors will sound pretty good compared to each other in a shop, which won't reflect my listening environment anyway. And the drivers might not be broken in whereas some might be. Then I can't A/B them all at once. Coupled with this, I am not an experienced mixer therefore I don't really know fully what to listen for. I do understand that 'sounding good' is not the same as 'sounding accurate'.

So with this in mind I have no choice but to rely mainly on recommendations and reading between the lines. I only mention the kevlar because there does seem some sense to it, seeing as it is used in the more expensive monitors and it has the quality of lightness and hi tensile strength that is good for BP vests as well as drivers. But of course that is not to say that a badly made kevlar is better than a well made polyprop.

Something that is appealing about the BX5's is that they have a matched sub that I could add at a later date that does not send the same frequencies to the satellites and subs. But then I wonder how much I need that sort of low frequency.

Which is why I'm sort of tending towards a good 6 incher now like the KRK RP6 and I can always add their matched sub as well later.

cschreppel

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2006
Boston, MA
Well, there's an acoustic space switch, which I'm not quite sure exactly what that does ;)

But the important ones is the hi frequency boost, mid boost, and the low roll off. For example, if you decided to use a subwoofer with the monitors, you have control over which low frequencies get sent to the monitors.

I believe it's 100, 80, and 50 Hz on the BX5's. The BX5a's have nothing more than a volume knob.

These switches help for when you move to different rooms, if you adjust the acoustics in your room, etc.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
dogbone said:
I am not an experienced mixer therefore I don't really know fully what to listen for. I do understand that 'sounding good' is not the same as 'sounding accurate'.
what you want are the monitors which will allow you to produce good mixes. the nature of the beast is such that you have to spend time on them to get to that point, which is what makes buying them so damn hard.

this is where a return policy comes in mighty handy.

if you're really stuck with listening to them at a shop, bring along some stuff you've mixed that have known flaws. for example, maybe there's one song you are certain has a crap middle, but you can't figure out why. look for the pair that reveals something about the mix you hadn't heard before.

that won't guarantee a good purchase, but in combination with whatever you're using currently (and assuming that they still reveal the flaw once installed), it'll put you one step further along.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
cschreppel, the low freq rolloff does look good but if you use their own sbx sub then that is taken care of automatically by the sub.

So I'm left to wonder whether the newer model will be better (something that feels like it makes sense) enough to do without the other sitches which other monitors get by without?

Zimv20 OK maybe I'll mix something especially to test it. But I still don't think I'm experienced enough to know. Also returning items because you don't like it, is a luxury that is not afforded here in the boondocks of OZ.

cschreppel

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2006
Boston, MA
That's the thing though, the other BX5a's low end can be rolled off when using a subwoofer...chances are, you won't be mixing with one. I find it excessive and in most cases, somewhat tricky.

There's still no standard with subwoofers regarding frequencies, so when a person with a sub plays back your mix, they might have a different crossover and may have the level louder.

If you mix without a sub, you have more control over the low end.

Therefore, if you're mixing without a sub, I would go for the BX5's over the a's. Even with a sub, I'd still take the original BX5's. There's just something about the a's that don't sound quite as clear, yet revealing as the original.

cschreppel

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2006
Boston, MA
That's the thing though, the other BX5a's low end can be rolled off when using a subwoofer...chances are, you won't be mixing with one. I find it excessive and in most cases, somewhat tricky.

There's still no standard with subwoofers regarding frequencies, so when a person with a sub plays back your mix, they might have a different crossover and may have the level louder.

If you mix without a sub, you have more control over the low end.

Therefore, if you're mixing without a sub, I would go for the BX5's over the a's. Even with a sub, I'd still take the original BX5's. There's just something about the a's that don't sound quite as clear, yet revealing as the original.

FunBoy50

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2006
Has no-one else suggested the Genelec 8030a's ??

I've been using them for a year, and they're amazing. So much better than anything else i tried. The detail and stereo imaging in them is amazing. I find that turing a -2db low shelf switch on makes them sound more balanced than the 'everything off' factory settings. at least in my room anyway.

Seriously tho, check them out. 5" driver but the bass response will blow you away!

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
and the winner is...

We have a last minute surprise winner for dogbone's hard earned cash. I was given an excellent quote on a pair of RP6's which was tempting at $700 AUD, but at the last minute I ended up with a pair of old stock KRK Series One V4's from a demo inventory. Got them including express airmail from the states for $500 AUD so I'm happy because they go for about $1200 here believe it or not.

They are only 4" woofers that go down to only 65Hz but I'm hoping that they still sound better. I mean they are $500 a pair in the states so I'm just guessing that they must be better than the RP5's or RP6's which go for $300 and $400 a pair. Plus the V4's will fit better into my limited space as they are pretty tiny.

Attachments

• c5_1.JPG
    c5_1.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 114

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
That's interesting. In the picture it looks like they use the same cabinet as my Samson 50a loudspeakers! Not that that's bad, but it sure is a good cabinet design. Very low resonance and feels very heavy duty. Tell us what they're like when they arrive ;) .

Hope you enjoy them! :eek:

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
will do thanks, I'm real excited about these, I'm not too worried about the 65hz lower end as they have great reviews for the mids and uppers which is where I'm most interested in anyway.

Should arrive in about 10 days. Well let you know.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
65 Hz is plenty low enough. My B&W DM303s which I use as rear speakers apparently only go down to 85 Hz, but when they were my mains speakers they used to get into sub frequencies.

e-clipse

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2006
Nashville,TN
Killyp said:
65 Hz is plenty low enough. My B&W DM303s which I use as rear speakers apparently only go down to 85 Hz, but when they were my mains speakers they used to get into sub frequencies.

I personally need full range. 65Hz and below is important to me. I do alot of full range rock and techno.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
I can't believe that now I've commited I have found a link on a 4 year old post on a forum somewhere back to the KRK homepage that is still connected to the series one V4, And it also has three links to reviews of the old model V4. Cool. Actually the link was there all the time under 'discontinued' but I didn't see it. Which is probably a good thing because if I did I would have bought them at their asking price of $50 more on ebay. But I thought they were not worth it because they were series one.

I feel even better about it now. There doesn't seem to be any real difference between the series one and two.

Though only half the size of Yamaha NS10Ms, the V-4s sound quite a bit bigger.

The KRK V-4s are a good choice for anyone looking for warm, non-fatiguing, big-sounding active monitors with very small footprints. These pint-sized units transcend the usual shortcoming of small cabinets-insufficient low end-to produce an amazingly extended frequency response. In fact, I've never before heard monitors this small sound so good.

Drums sounded articulate and tight except for a little blurriness in the upper bass and low-midrange regions. Both the bass guitar and drums sounded a tad flabby in the upper bass region, but otherwise natural. Although I could clearly distinguish the pitches of bass notes down to low E, the V-4s could not reproduce the bottom-most octave in the audio spectrum (20 to 40 Hz). Note, however, that most other 2-way, close-field monitors are also deficient in this range, so this is not a criticism specifically of the V-4. Again, should you need a truer picture of what's going on down in the "thunder zone," you can always add a subwoofer.

Overall, I was impressed that I heard no holes in the midrange response while tracking with the V-4s. Also, the V-4's transient response proved outstanding. I only wish these monitors had a tad more zing in the top octave of the audible spectrum-but this is more a personal preference than an indictment.

Placed on the Monitor Traps, the V-4s sounded a tad boomy and veiled in the 150 to 300 Hz zone. But imaging, depth of soundstage, and especially the reproduction of transients were very good. The V-4s are not even slightly fatiguing to listen to over the course of long sessions.

There's not much point in me adding my own opinions as I won't know what I'm talking about anyway.:) I'd probably just say "they sound good" Mind you about 10 years ago I had a pair of koss amplified speakers (not monitors) that had a pair of tiny 3.5" drivers and a tweeter in each cabinet and only a single 20 watt amplifer in one of the cabinets. But they produced a huge sound.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.