Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FlamDrag

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2003
Western Hemisphere
Let's hope that Apple's market share is increasing at a healthy rate. My concern for them would be that a large chunk of customers are upgrading now and won't again for some time.

imamacguy17

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2002
if this is real

if this is real would or can apple post it like they do the iTunes tracks sold? and i would not be surprised since Apple had been selling 100,000 power macs (slightly less in the recent quarters) but the G5 is impressive even to PC people YEAH! we will find out at MacWorld im sure.:D

animemaster

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2002
Lets see. The lowest amount that it could be is just shalow of $1B. The highest in revenue could be $1.5B. My guess, is it falls somewhere in the middle, that's how these things usually work out.

My concern though, is that most of these people are the loyal Apple fans, just upgrading. What I'd like to see, what I think a lot of us would like to see, is the pc switcher to mac upgrader ratio.

From my own personal experience with Apple, I'm going to bet it's roughly even.

-animemaster

Oirectine

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2003
Maryland
Originally posted by FlamDrag
Let's hope that Apple's market share is increasing at a healthy rate. My concern for them would be that a large chunk of customers are upgrading now and won't again for some time.

All I know is that since September of this year, I have sold my Mac to a friend, who was almost instantly converted from a Windows user to a Mac zealot, and one of my other friends is getting his first Mac, an iBook, for Christmas. I know it is just anecdotal and doesn't mean anything, but I'm still pleased that the number of Mac users I know has doubled in the past 4 months!

spinner

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2002
South Dakota
I will be adding to those numbers sometime next year. I will probably wait until the 3+ GHz machines are out and get a mid range machine.

Mr.Hey

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Me too. Waiting for the 3Ghz top of the line.....3D animation is a b*tch to render. But encoding pr0n will be a lot easier now :D>.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
I wonder what the breakdown of the 500, 000 was. I'm sure the Dual 2Ghz led, followed by the single 1.8 since it was out sooner than the Dual 1.8, and lastly the 1.6.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
.0. Last quarter Apple shipped 221,000 Power Mac units, fueled by over 100,000 pre-orders for the Power Mac G5.
not to be nitpicky here, but as far as i know, pre-orders are counted in the quarter that the machine atually ships, not when it's ordered. i wouldn't put too much stock in this report.

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
US or Worldwide?

I could see the # being Worldwide.

I'll be buying both 3+Ghz G5 this coming yr and a G5 PB if it comes out not to mention another iPod if it blows my current iPod out of the water.

I'll probably spend near 10 grand with Apple next yr. if they come out with what I want.

ffakr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2002
Chicago
two surges of buyers

I think there will actually be two major surges of G5 sales (possibly a third smaller one).

The first were people who needed the machine last year. Those would be the designers and such who were languishing on older G4s, but who were too stuborn to move to the PC. In this group I'll include the 'must have' people who had cash and wanted the latest-greatest.

The second wave will be all those people who have been saying 'I'll wait till rev 2, just to make sure they work out the bugs'. These buyers don't NEED all that power but they want it. They figure that they'll be better off waiting a bit.. they'll get the more stable, faster, possibly cheaper rev. 2.

The third possible wave could be the people who always crave the next thing. They may be fixating on the 3GHz promise. I've heard a lot of people saying.. 'I'll buy when SJ delivers those 3GHz machines'. 3GHz has strong psychological implications. It's been the clock of Intel's high end offerings for a while (back into about half a year of G4 only mac desktops). It's a hurdle to reach... parity with Intel (even though They'll be farther ahead in clock by then too, they are already at 3.2)

So... I figure there will be another big swell when the new boxes ship... then a smaller swell when the next revision comes out.. though isn't that always the case, to some extent. ;-)

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
i wouldnt worry about how many people are apple converts to powermac G5s.

the only other company making money off of computers is Dell. Dell's computers are by and large cheaper than those offered by apple.

so if people do convert from PC-> Mac, expect to see it in consumer lines, since Mac has basically market saturation in pro-fields right?

i think the 20" imac is a good example of this phenomenon. people converting to mac don't see it as a compromised desktop, they see it as a great hub. whereas a lot of people on this site rag on it for having some not so upgradable features, it really is more than sufficient for someone converting from a dell/pc. so the fact that they added a model to a line-up that seems to be deficient may point to where the growth from switchers is coming.

rog

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Kalapana, HI
Not very impressive. The article says it only brings them up to the level the G4 was selling at 3 years ago, and they were considered terribly slow selling back then. I think sales would have been much better if they'd packed them all with dualies and started at $1600 instead of $2000. The G5s are getting old and overpriced. I hope they update them soon. Back in the mid 90s they sold something like 1,000,000 desktops per quarter. The G5 is not going to increase market share. They are just too expensive.

NusuniAdmin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
supercomputer with g5

heh, 500k g5's would make you a kick @$$ supercomputer. Imagen that, 1100 are the 3'rd fastest. 500k would cream any suppercomputer cluster, and would not be beaten for years (unless you make 500,001 g5's in a cluster).

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Originally posted by rog
Not very impressive. The article says it only brings them up to the level the G4 was selling at 3 years ago, and they were considered terribly slow selling back then. I think sales would have been much better if they'd packed them all with dualies and started at $1600 instead of $2000. The G5s are getting old and overpriced. I hope they update them soon. Back in the mid 90s they sold something like 1,000,000 desktops per quarter. The G5 is not going to increase market share. They are just too expensive.
You are rather negative.

As for the total number of desktops per quarter, remember to add in iMac and eMac sales. Also, I suspect some of the laptops are taking away from the desktop sales.

The number getting up as high as it was 3 years ago is actually good in this economy.

Yes, we would all like Apple to sell even more systems, however, this is a nice start to an upward swing.

As for the next round of Powermac upgrades, wait a month or two, these haven't even been out 5 months yet.

NusuniAdmin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003

Originally posted by rog

What are you talking about. Find a dell of equivalent EVERYTHING of the dual 2 ghz g5. The dell will be a few hundred dollars more, just count on it, And it has to be a 64 bit dell computer, not 32. [edit: the dell also has to be dual processor] Has to have same amount of default ram, and same amount of default vram. And plus a computer that was made less than 6 months ago is not old. So dude, get your facts right before you post a bogus messege like that.

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Actually thats not true.
MacAddict Jan issue did just this.
They took a G5 dual 2Ghz with 1GB of ram and compared them to whats similar in the PC world. All them had 3.2GHz P4 processors and 1GB of ram.

G5: $3,549
Dell: $3,079
Gateway: $2,519
hp Compaq: $2,089
HP: $3,318
IBM: $3,372

So really the G5 compares more with the HP and IBM which are only couple hundred cheaper then the G5. But if your like me you use a edu account which gets me basically the same pricing as IBM and HP.

Did the PC's whup up on the G5 no. In alot of the tests the G5 matched the P4 performance and passed it on alot those.

Only if the game section did the G5 get screwed over. But according to Macsoft and Aspyr this was due to the games not being optimized for the G5.

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
NusuniAdmin:

Imagen that, 1100 are the 3'rd fastest. 500k would cream any suppercomputer cluster, and would not be beaten for years
Well the thing about clusters is that cramming ever-more processors into one is not a key to infinate performance in general because communication between the nodes keeps getting slower. Yeah if 500k G5's were made into an "ubercluster" it could crank a lot of folding@home, but it would not be hard to find problems were it was a dog. It always bothers me a bit when people equate big clusters with true supercomputers, as in, machines where there is one unified memory space.

What are you talking about. Find a dell of equivalent EVERYTHING of the dual 2 ghz g5. The dell will be a few hundred dollars more, just count on it, And it has to be a 64 bit dell computer, not 32. Has to have same amount of default ram, and same amount of default vram.
Well I agree that fellow was over-negative, but at the same time I think you're being over-positive. In PC-land all the vendors try to change the "pro tax" for anything with two or more processors so demanding matching specs is just stacking the deck for Apple. Similarly, I could point at a Dell with 3 internal hard disks, 2 optical drives, 4 PCI cards, 256 MB of VRAM plus a TV-tuner, and demand that you match that.

That said, single-processor PC's will still challenge and often defeat a dual G5 where two processors are not useful, and they'll do it for a lower price (than $3000+).

NusuniAdmin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003

Originally posted by ITR 81
Actually thats not true.
MacAddict Jan issue did just this.
They took a G5 dual 2Ghz with 1GB of ram and compared them to whats similar in the PC world. All them had 3.2GHz P4 processors and 1GB of ram.

G5: $3,549
Dell: $3,079
Gateway: $2,519
hp Compaq: $2,089
HP: $3,318
IBM: $3,372

So really the G5 compares more with the HP and IBM which are only couple hundred cheaper then the G5. But if your like me you use a edu account which gets me basically the same pricing as IBM and HP.

Did the PC's whup up on the G5 no. In alot of the tests the G5 matched the P4 performance and passed it on alot those.

Only if the game section did the G5 get screwed over. But according to Macsoft and Aspyr this was due to the games not being optimized for the G5.

Ya..i hope apple adds more integer units, if they do that then in any benchmark the g5 will cream, especialy with its mega floating point units. Then again, not much in the X86 world lately, they should really upgrade. X86 is like '80's technology, they really need to upgrade. Lets see, the g5 will be up to 2.6 in the not to distant future, and i predict the intel P5(maybe 4) will be released around same time with a 3.5 ghz processor. Then in about a year G5 (or g6) will be up to about 3-3.25 ghz and P5 will be up to about 3.8-4 ghz (and maybe 64 bit), then another 6 or so months G6 will be about 3.5-4 ghz and P5(or 6) will be about 4-4.3 ghz, these are just my predictions but i doubt they will be tooo far off.

Overall you get more stuff for the g5 price. Plus i doubt that dell machine u mentioned had a "superdrive" (or at least a dvd/cd rw) in it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.