Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlmightyG5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
Can anyone here tell me if it it normal for my iMac G5 Rev. B to have the fans go to 5600 RPM and Whine like a crazy %$&# when all I have open is iTunes, Safari, mail, and quicktime? I have a box fan in my room now at full blast and I can still hear this iMac whine over it. My CPU temp. is at 73 C. I'm just wondering what Apple would do if I took it to the Apple store near me. I called AppleCare and they said to take it to the Apple store. What can be done? Is this normal??

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
AlmightyG5 said:
I dont want to buy Harware Monitor...
It's shareware. The site even suggests that you try before you buy. Still, 5600 RPM's isn't normal even if you have your CPU set to Highest in the Energy Saver preference pane.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
iGary said:
Yeah, I didn't tell you to buy it, I asked if you were using it, because that might have helped. :rolleyes:

And no it's not normal.
I normally use the iStat Pro widget. You have 10.4 on that Rev. B iMac G5. It'll give you fan speeds and CPU temperature. Hardware Monitor states that the upper limit on the CPU is 85 C.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.