Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
Received new iPhone 12Pro on Friday. Have new AT&T Elite Unlimited plan. Checked AT&Ts 5G coverage map and my area is all 5G. Under cellular in settings I’ve tried 5G auto and 5G on. My phone still only displays 5Ge in top right hand corner.

Anyone else with this issue? Anyone have a fix?

QueenTyrone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2016
Received new iPhone 12Pro on Friday. Have new AT&T Elite Unlimited plan. Checked AT&Ts 5G coverage map and my area is all 5G. Under cellular in settings I’ve tried 5G auto and 5G on. My phone still only displays 5Ge in top right hand corner.

Anyone else with this issue? Anyone have a fix?

AT&T doesn’t have 5G UW or much of it so most 5G is just 5Ge

islack

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2020
Do you have "5G only" and "5G auto" and "LTE only" in your cellular settings menu?

If you do not have this- your plan doesn't have 5g enabled feature code and you need to call ATT to enable it.

On ATT phones you will continue to see FAUX 5Ge - because its LTE mimo 4x4... however on true 5G mmwave you will see "5G+" and regular sub 6ghz bands you will see "5G" on the iPhone.
[automerge]1603648878[/automerge]
AT&T doesn’t have 5G UW or much of it so most 5G is just 5Ge

This is not true. I pulled 2GB/s mmwave in downtown Miami earlier today. See my other posts in the 5G speed thread.

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
Do you have "5G only" and "5G auto" and "LTE only" in your cellular settings menu?

If you do not have this- your plan doesn't have 5g enabled feature code and you need to call ATT to enable it.

On ATT phones you will continue to see FAUX 5Ge - because its LTE mimo 4x4... however on true 5G mmwave you will see "5G+" and regular sub 6ghz bands you will see "5G" on the iPhone.

This is not true. I pulled 2GB/s mmwave in downtown Miami earlier today. See my other posts in the 5G speed thread.

Yes as I said in my post I have tried both 5G on and 5G auto. Still displays 5Ge.

islack

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2020
Yes as I said in my post I have tried both 5G on and 5G auto. Still displays 5Ge.

I think we may be saying different things. You seem to be saying you are seeing "5G" in AT&T's coverage map and I am pointing out that if you were on a true 5G area then your iPhone will display different "5G" icons.

AT&T is notorius for faux 5G marketing. Your area is LTE 4x4 MIMO. I faced the same issue earlier and later came to the conclusion that AT&T coverage maps are a farce/marketing scheme. Use RootMetrics "Coverage App" to see 'best technology' in your area and it will most likely show "LTE" aka 5Ge.

mrwilly25

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2015
My 12 Pro on AT&T with 5G auto, will display 5G or 5Ge depending on where I am. I’m in the Denver, CO area, Centennial/Parker to be specific.

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
My 12 Pro on AT&T with 5G auto, will display 5G or 5Ge depending on where I am. I’m in the Denver, CO area, Centennial/Parker to be specific.
No I understand what you Are saying and yes I checked AT&Ts map and my area(Kansas City,MO) definitely has true 5G coverage. Talked to them yesterday and they confirmed. I also have the 5G option in settings under cellular.

QueenTyrone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2016

I said or much of it

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
I think we may be saying different things. You seem to be saying you are seeing "5G" in AT&T's coverage map and I am pointing out that if you were on a true 5G area then your iPhone will display different "5G" icons.

AT&T is notorius for faux 5G marketing. Your area is LTE 4x4 MIMO. I faced the same issue earlier and later came to the conclusion that AT&T coverage maps are a farce/marketing scheme. Use RootMetrics "Coverage App" to see 'best technology' in your area and it will most likely show "LTE" aka 5Ge.
Okay here’s the deal. I took your advice and looked at the RootMetrics map. Sure enough I do not have 5G coverage at my house. I did notice that just down the road it is available. I drove to the gas station as I needed gas anyway. BINGO! Phone switched from 5Ge to straight 5G.

Thanks for your help!

Reactions: rysmtihaz

islack

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2020
Okay here’s the deal. I took your advice and looked at the RootMetrics map. Sure enough I do not have 5G coverage at my house. I did notice that just down the road it is available. I drove to the gas station as I needed gas anyway. BINGO! Phone switched from 5Ge to straight 5G.

Thanks for your help!

Glad to help.

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
I really thought about that as I hadn’t left my house since I got the phone. I just figured since AT&Ts 5G coverage map clearly says I have coverage at my house it would have been on 5G. I spoke to AT&T tech department yesterday about this for an hour. They didn’t have an answer. Just figured there was some sort of glitch with with my phone or service. They were supposed to get back with me today with options/answers. You would think they would have told me to drive down the street and see if it changed. Sure enough when I did it switched to 5G.

Joho2078

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2019

They don't even call it 5g UW. it's 5g+

Joho2078

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2019

Their map doesn't display 5g+. It should show 5g low band

ac921ol

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2011
ea01c2ec0f55530fbfd17161b6318678.png

Seems like I need to call them and tell them to fire me up 5G cause I don’t see it anywhere.

cchs2014

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2014
ea01c2ec0f55530fbfd17161b6318678.png

Seems like I need to call them and tell them to fire me up 5G cause I don’t see it anywhere.
This has been a common issue with At&t + iPhone 12. You will need to contact them to update your IMEI on their end to provision it for 5G. Shortly after (usually a reboot) the 5G option will show up.

Reactions: webbuzz and ac921ol

dellandc

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2015
I’ll keep this in mind if I encounter the same problem with my pro max. Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.