Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Hi guys.

Proud owner of the new 5k iMac.

Got a question.. i do some gaming on it and am wondering if we will see a potential increase in performance as the OS updates keep coming in.

As a second question.. do display drivers get updated very often with the macs?

Thanks so much :)

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
There's always a potential, though I don't think we'll big swing.

Yes at times, but they're rolled up in the normal updates. That is they're not updated separately.
So there usually are not any targeted graphics updates for the new retina 5k screen specifically for the new graphics drivers which came with it?

bogg

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Sweden
It happened sometimes up until about 7-8 years ago that they released GPU drivers as a separate update, but haven't seen it happen since. I remember my 2005 Mac mini and 2007 iMac receiving updates for the ATI graphics in them. But can't remember it happening since. Apple doesn't like updating every little aspect of the computer in separate updates, almost always everything is bundled up in the system update, except security and firmware updates

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
It happened sometimes up until about 7-8 years ago that they released GPU drivers as a separate update, but haven't seen it happen since. I remember my 2005 Mac mini and 2007 iMac receiving updates for the ATI graphics in them. But can't remember it happening since. Apple doesn't like updating every little aspect of the computer in separate updates, almost always everything is bundled up in the system update, except security and firmware updates
Is it common, during the system updates, that the graphics drivers will become more efficient?
Surely driver 1.0 for the 5k graphics, will not be the be all end all driver for the lifetime?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Is it common, during the system updates, that the graphics drivers will become more efficient?
Surely driver 1.0 for the 5k graphics, will not be the be all end all driver for the lifetime?
Personally, I never noticed what is getting faster, at least with my 2012 rMBP (dGPU model), i.e., did the update roll out new graphic drivers that makes things snappier or did Apple improve other areas.

Personally, I'd not really worry about it, since we have no control over it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.