Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GalileoSeven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2015
My workstation arrangement at home has changed a bit and now that I've started using my iMac again, that's got me thinking. I use it as a general purpose web-browsing/media consumption machine while I prefer to keep my two laptops (see my sig for details) plugged in to external monitors. The thing is, neither of the monitors have integrated webcams, so when it comes to multi-tasking, videoconferencing (via MS Teams) and such would have to be done on here.

When this thing dies (hopefully not anytime soon), I'm weighing buying a separate monitor w/webcam. Would such a purchase be worth it (are there any decent ones out there?) ?? Or would I be better off buying another 27" iMac (since that would be in the same price range) ??

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
There only is the LG 27” 5K. Other 5K monitors are unicorns. The one from iilyama is end of life afaik. And it does not have a webcam

Reactions: GalileoSeven

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
My workstation arrangement at home has changed a bit and now that I've started using my iMac again, that's got me thinking. I use it as a general purpose web-browsing/media consumption machine while I prefer to keep my two laptops (see my sig for details) plugged in to external monitors. The thing is, neither of the monitors have integrated webcams, so when it comes to multi-tasking, videoconferencing (via MS Teams) and such would have to be done on here.

When this thing dies (hopefully not anytime soon), I'm weighing buying a separate monitor w/webcam. Would such a purchase be worth it (are there any decent ones out there?) ?? Or would I be better off buying another 27" iMac (since that would be in the same price range) ??

Getting an iMac just for an integrated webcam seems like you are over-buying for the need.

Although, I haven't seen any monitors with built-in webcams. In a somewhat similar situation, I've been using a spare laptop for a dedicated webcam lately and join some meetings with 2 macs so I can properly present because I need a new webcam... but the prices are unreal at this point in time. Vendors have marked up prices by > 300% over what they should charge. Eventually this will be fixed when there is product in the channel.

In the mean time, I was able to get rid of the dedicated laptop and use EpocCam HD for iOS. It lets you use an iPhone as a webcam / microphone and the image quality is great, you just need a tripod, etc. FYI. 3RD party webcams will not work with Apple's Messages / Facetime products. They hardware lock it to their own devices.

Reactions: GalileoSeven

GalileoSeven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2015
Yeah - overbuying definitely came to mind. Guess I've been spoiled by the overall display quality (colors/sharpness blow my Dell S2715H out of the water)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.