Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IJBrekke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 24, 2009
Long Beach, CA
Hi All,

My 5S is doing pretty well, a little over two years old and functioning as designed with minimal slowdowns. Updating to 9.3 last night gave it a nice bump in speed and smoothness.

Battery life isn't great, however. A question for those of you that have replaced batteries on these: Did you see a noticeable improvement?

I'm wondering how much of the degradation has to do with aging and how much of it is newer (and more resource intensive) software. I understand that it is a mixture of both to some degree, but if I'm to replace the battery I would like to see a nice jump in longevity.

I charge the phone daily, so it has seen two years worth of cycling, FYI.

Thanks in advance for your feedback and advice.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
I don't have a 5s, but I did have the battery replaced in my 5 last year. After iOS 9 came out it went from running all day to needing to be charged in the middle of the day. Once I had it replaced it went back up to running all day on one overnight charge. It's not quite as good a few months later, but it still goes all day or at least until I get home in the evening. I haven't upgraded to 9.3 yet. Hope that helps!

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012
I replaced my iphone 5 battery just yesterday for the first time (had the phone for 3.5 years) because i noticed it got hot fast when using the cell network and data, and would die fast, it would be 40%, then suddenly drop to 10%, then when I charge it on the electrical socket, it would go from 1% to 30% in a matter of 1 second after plugging it.

the new battery is amazing, my iphone 5 feels like it's been resurrected, and it lasts me the whole day now. (but take my word with a grain of salt, I still need to buy a local sim card and put it in to see how long it lasts with the local cell network and data since I am traveling at the moment.)

even my macbook air 2012 needs a batter replacement. its suppose to be a 6700 mah battery, but battery monitor shows it can only hold now just 4800 mah.

so yeah, the battery does age, and definitely would recommend replacement

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.