Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
Out of nowhere this morning, 5s heats up, starts getting sluggish and unresponsive. I power it down for a restart. What would normally be a 30 second restart has turned into a 3 hour ordeal. The 5s has been on the Apple logo ever since, and since I don't have physical access to my MBP I am trying to update it to 9.3.1 via a computer lab Mac (which gave error code 2006...)

I do NOT want to restore the phone. I have over 7 GB worth of pictures that I do not want to lose. What options do I have?

And it's not even jailbroken!!!

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
Update: after attempting to update, it's still stuck. Bracing for the worst and hoping for the best. Any ideas?

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
assuming u backup ur device at a common sense frequency level, u wont lose ur pictures..& if u use icloud photo library, well theyre in the cloud so theryre still there.

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
assuming u backup ur device at a common sense frequency level, u wont lose ur pictures..& if u use icloud photo library, well theyre in the cloud so theryre still there.
W.r.t pictures, I intentionally keep them out of iCloud for privacy purposes. HOWEVER, in light of recent events, I have started to change my mind dramatically. If only I had done it well before this.

Looks like I'm going to have to do a DFU now :(, which isn't a HUGE deal because MOST of my pictures are likely on my laptop because I use iCloud sync, but not iCloud photo library

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
w.r.t? if u dont use icloud photo lib then i guess they are all synced from itunes or in the camera roll? both ways a manual itunes backup (or icloud backup) will restore them. i dont use icloud photo lib either not cause of security, but cause cloud services can & do go down, get slow, shutdown etc, & using them consumes upload & my country is just FINALLY somewhat starting to catch up to the world in upload speeds at least on middle of the road internet plans..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.