Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fahrvergnugen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2020
Olathe, CO
Hello,

First time poster, so I am a little lost here. Like I say, I have a 5th Gen iPod that I will eventually convert to SSD, would like to clear it and format it so that I can use it with my iMac in the meantime. Any suggestions on how to do this? I Do have a PC that I can connect it to, but I don't have iTunes on it so I am not sure how helpful that is.

So, as far as I can tell I have two problems; One, I haven't put this thing in my name yet, and Two, I don't seem to be able to connect to the bloody thing.

What do I need to do here? I greatly appreciate any and all replies...

Dave

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Your iMac should recognize the iPod when you attach it via USB. Then, depending on which version of macOS you're using, you should be able to revert it to a Mac format or reset/wipe it. You would use either iTunes or the Finder (again depends on which version of macOS you have).

Fahrvergnugen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2020
Olathe, CO
Question- Would the PC -See- the iPod?

I downloaded iTunes onto the PC, connected the iPod, and it still doesn't see the bloody thing.

I followed these suggestions, no change...

"

If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod​

If you connect your device to your computer with a USB cable and your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod, get help.

If your computer doesn't recognize your connected device, you might see an unknown error or a "0xE" error. If you do, follow these steps and try to connect your device again after each step:
  1. Make sure that your iOS or iPadOS device is unlocked and on the Home screen.
  2. Check that you have the latest software on your Mac or Windows PC. If you're using iTunes, make sure you have the latest version.
  3. Make sure that your device is turned on.
  4. If you see a Trust this Computer alert, unlock your device and tap Trust.
  5. Unplug all USB accessories from your computer except for your device. Try each USB port to see if one works. Then try a different Apple USB cable.*
  6. Restart your computer.
  7. Restart your device:
  8. Try connecting your device to another computer. If you have the same issue on another computer, contact Apple Support."
Any thoughts? Again, I appreciate your time!

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Assuming that this a 5th Generation iPod Touch, what condition is the battery in? A dead or very weak battery will cause the iPod to not be recognized by your Mac. If the battery is okay and you tried it on your Mac and PC and it's still not recognized, it's possible you have a defective iPod Touch.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Okay, I understand now. The click wheel iPods are different in the way they are setup. I had one myself that was formatted to use with Windows and later I reformatted it to use with my Mac. I also removed the hard drive and placed a SD card in its place.

You can see the entire procedure on how to do that at www.ifixit.com.

To check if the iPod is being "seen", attach it via USB and then open Disk Utility to see if it's there. Even if it doesn't show up on the desktop, Disk Utility should see it.

Reactions: chinchillas

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
The iPod will work on the Mac regardless if it's Windows formatted or not. The only difference is "Windows" formatted iPods use FAT32, Mac formatted ones use HFS. The Mac ones actually work on Windows if you install MacDrive.

Does the iPod work like it is supposed to besides not being seen by the computer? If so, try another USB cable, or another port. It's more than likely the cable. You can also try rebooting the iPod by holding menu and select.

As for using it on the PC you have, install iTunes. It takes about 45 seconds. It will actually work without iTunes if disk storage was enabled on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.