Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigsmile01

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2013
Which is the better charger for iPhone battery life, especially for older models like XR & 7?

I need to get my mum a new official Apple charger for her iPhone 7. Both the 5W and 12W are on offer at the same price, so I am not sure which one to get. She will probably use the iPhone 7 for a few more years (even though it won't be getting any new iOS updates), so keeping the battery life good is important.

She's not that bothered about faster charging.

Another family member might borrow it for their XR.

I've read some sites say the 5W is better because it produces less heat and so the battery will last longer.
But I've read other sites say iOS has the technology to stop the 12W from pushing too much charger to the phone.
So I am slightly confused!

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
1st u can use any USB charger as the iphone controls the power it needs. U don’t have to pay the apple tax.

2nd if u really want to save a few % battery health over the years and save the $50 for a new battery use a 5W charger. But time is money

3rd for an iphone 7 in 2022 i guess a new battery is appropriate

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
Either will do fine. The 5 watt cube is cheaper and if she does not need fast charging, it might be the best choice. If the little extra money is not a problem, get the 12 watt unit.

Reactions: bigsmile01

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
In my opinion, the amount of time and effort that goes into squeezing the last drop of juice from these batteries isn't worth the effort. When the time comes and a new battery is needed, one can get a new battery.

That said, buy the charger that has the most capacity. You never know when one might want to charge their iphone as quickly as possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.