Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
Hey Crew,
I've been slowly upgrading a 6,1 MP for the last few months and had 2 out of 4 ram slots not working. Checked and it seems to be a very solid thing. As such I purchased a new CPU riser and plan on installing it soon.

I'm aware that there have been sleep issues with the MP6,1 - so originally although it had Monterey installed, I downgraded to High Sierra and then to Catalina (where I thought I would keep it) and eventually Big Sur (to where I have to keep it for certain software programs) just to keep the correct firmware mentioned from HS and Monterey that kept it running smoothly. I imagine changing the riser over will mess with this yes?

My question is, what would you think I need to do in order to have it properly installed, keep the firmware that keeps it running as smoothly as it is now and has been? D300 and a 12-core. It'll have 64GB Ram assuming the new riser works fine. Firmware was at Monterey so I'm hoping to keep it there. I do have the original SSD that it came with - that I'll probably use for the initial swap and changeover (Monterey). But then switch to it's current SSD with Big Sur.

Any preparations or advice prior to doing it would be greatly appreciated. Planning on doing it this weekend. (Currently Wed pm here in Australia). Many thanks in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.