Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
Does anyone know of a source for the 10 pin SATA power cable that comes with the Pegasus J2i and Sonnet J3i drive enclosures?

1. I have a Sonnet J3i with a U.2 drive in it, powered by one of the 2 SATA power cables coming from the 10pin connector.
  2. I have a second 20TB SATA spinner plugged into one of the internal sata ports.
  3. And, lastly, I have a 2TB 2.5" sata SSD that is plugged into a SATA to USB cable (plugged into the internal USB port on the 7,1 Mac Pro).
The problem is I want to plug both the spinner and 2.5" SSD into the internal SATA ports. Mostly because I want the 2.5" SATA SSD to be a bootcamp drive and it likes to be installed on SATA only and not USB for whatever dumb reasons.

So, I'm hoping I can get some kind of power splitter cable so I could run a line to power my U.2, but still have the 2 sata ports free for my spinner and 2.5" SSD.

I'm not sure what the best way to do that is, but I was hoping some place sold some of the 10pin power cables to split out in some cool ways that might give me some options.

Worst case, if there are no options, I suppose I can just use the USB-to-SATA port for the spinner, and that would solve the issue too.

Thanks for any pointers.

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Seems to be MOLEX 10-pin Mini-Fit Jr. 39-01-2105. Product page at Mouser.
Mac Pro Pinout:
Here are cables with the female connector and 4x SATA power.
AliExpress:
If you're up to it, you could easily solder/crimp more SATA connectors to these.
If you want to use the original Sonnet J3i cable, one would have to solder/crimp the male counterpart onto one of those cables mentioned above:

Last edited:

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
Seems to be MOLEX 10-pin Mini-Fit Jr. 39-01-2105. Product page at Mouser.
Mac Pro Pinout:
Here are cables with the female connector and 4x SATA power.
AliExpress:
If you're up to it, you could easily solder/crimp more SATA connectors to these.
If you want to use the original Sonnet J3i cable, one would have to solder/crimp the male counterpart onto one of those cables mentioned above:

Thank you! Much appreciated!

Reactions: arw

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Oops, my response may have been overkill…
If you only want to power 3 drives and the cable length allows for it, you could simply buy a SATA power Y splitter for the 2nd unused J3i connector.
(One small piece of the splitter's plastic part must be cut off to fit in the J3i's power+data connector)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

TzunamiOSX

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2009
Germany
  • Love
Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
So I'm realizing I can't do what I want with the 10pin to sata splitters.

I want to power a big 3.5" sata drive, a 2.5" sata SSD and a U.2 drive. AND I want to have the 2 sata drives plugged into the sata connectors in the mac pro. I have them all in the J3i from Sonnet.

I don't think that's possible with splitters because the cable that connects both SATA drives has integrated power intertwined with it (what came with the J3i) and so you'd need some kind of 10pin pass through.

ANYWHO... I think the answer may be to use the 5-8 plug below to bring up a sata power connector with with to power the U.2 drive:

Mac_Pro_PCIe_Power_Pinouts.jpg

The problem is I'm not sure what kind of connector that is. I have found a 6pin power connector to sata cable power connector, but the 6pin is fatter, like for a video card.

I'm not sure what "type" of 6 pin power plug that is inside the 2019 Mac Pro?

Any ideas or pointers to the right cable would be appreciated.

Last edited:

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
So I *think* that is a mini 6-pin connector and think maybe this cable will work to do the trick:

Will hopefully have it to test in a couple of days.

Reactions: argasek

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
! The cable you linked may fit physically but definitely do check the voltages on the SATA connector before plugging anything in and cut/remove the additional 12V line !
In case you get it to work with only GND and 12V for your U.2 drive, I just know that sometime in the future I would forget that generic SATA HDDs/SSDs can't work because they also need 5V.

I'd still hugely prefer the following (no need to tap into the PCIe power connector):
  • A 10-pin to 4x SATA power cable (post #2) and separate SATA data cables. No need for the intertwined J3i connector cables.
Or, if I misunderstood and we are now talking about 5 drives in total, one of theses two suggestions:
  • A 10-pin to 4x SATA power cable (post #2) and a Y-Splitter cable (post #4) to get a total of 5x SATA power connectors.
  • A 4x SATA power splitter (similar to post #4) to connect to one of the two J3i connectors. Instead of the 'sacrificed' intertwined connector, you can simply connect the second J3i drive to one of the four new SATA power cables and use a separate SATA data cable.

Last edited:

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
! The cable you linked may fit physically but definitely do check the voltages on the SATA connector before plugging anything in and cut/remove the additional 12V line !
In case you get it to work with only GND and 12V for your U.2 drive, I just know that sometime in the future I would forget that generic SATA HDDs/SSDs can't work because they also need 5V.

I'd still hugely prefer the following (no need to tap into the PCIe power connector):
  • A 10-pin to 4x SATA power cable (post #2) and separate SATA data cables. No need for the intertwined J3i connector cables.
Or, if I misunderstood and we are now talking about 5 drives in total, one of theses two suggestions:
  • A 10-pin to 4x SATA power cable (post #2) and a Y-Splitter cable (post #4) to get a total of 5x SATA power connectors.
  • A 4x SATA power splitter (similar to post #4) to connect to one of the two J3i connectors. Instead of the 'sacrificed' intertwined connector, you can simply connect the second J3i drive to one of the four new SATA power cables and use a separate SATA data cable.

Wow, so are you saying I could supply the wrong power? It seems weird to me that it would be wired into a sata power plug and supply the wrong amount of juice?

And it would only be for a total of 3 drives internally (although power for one more would be nice). 1 3.5" SATA spinner, 1 U.2 drive, and 1 2.5" SATA SSD. So power to all 3, and sata connections to only the 2 sata drives.

Yea, you know I'm not sure why I didn't think of it before, but if I got those 2 sata ports to independently connect, and then power side, that would work.

So maybe this for the power:

And then what the heck is the sata data connector type that is internal to the mac pro? Is it basically this?

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Wow, so are you saying I could supply the wrong power? It seems weird to me that it would be wired into a sata power plug and supply the wrong amount of juice?
Exactly. The port in the Mac Pro is for PCIe and has 3 pins for GND and 3 pins for 12V.
Just because the adapter cable (specific to some Dell PCs) may also physically fit in the Mac Pro, does by no means imply the SATA connector has GND / 12V at the correct position or could even magically deliver 5V.
Yea, you know I'm not sure why I didn't think of it before, but if I got those 2 sata ports to independently connect, and then power side, that would work.

So maybe this for the power:
Yes.
And then what the heck is the sata data connector type that is internal to the mac pro? Is it basically this?
Yes.
Any PC or PCIe SATA card uses the exact same (standardized) SATA data cables.
PCIe SAS cards use a different connector.

Last edited:

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
Exactly. The port in the Mac Pro is for PCIe and has 3 pins for GND and 3 pins for 12V.
Just because the adapter cable (specific to some Dell PCs) may physically fit in the Mac Pro, does by no means guarantee GND / 12V at the correct pins or even magically deliver 5V.

Yes.

Yes.
If you do not use a PCIe SAS card to connect additional drives but a PCIe SATA card, it uses the exact same (standardized) cables.

I'm not using SAS. Great, so just to be clear. These cables will work to connect to the 2019 Mac Pro's internal SATA connectors, and to the data part of the SATA port of my 2 internal sata drives:

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Yes.
What you listed in post #11 looks like the cleanest solution. With one SATA power free for future upgrades.

storkinsj

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2013
This post saved my bacon.

I was experiencing a completely self induced issue with a pciE USB card. It was working flawlessly except I couldn't connect anything directly to it except my KVM. Turns out... it's because I forgot to connect POWER to the pcie card (the KVM was a powered hub). Strange problem finally solved.

But getting power to the card was another story. It has a sata power connector on it (lol for "ease of compatibility"). It even came with a molex (standard 4 pin power) adaptor. But Good luck finding a mac pro 2019 molex adaptor.

Thanks to you guys I know why. For whatever reason apple put 3 sets of connectors on the board, none with 5v EXCEPT for that tiny proprietary thing up by the drives. I had the J2 promise thingy so I never thought about it. 

First, Thanks for saving me from pushing 12V into a 5V pin on my poor USB card. What can be said that can fully thank you enough lol.

The usb card came with a sata power splitter, but that integrated J2 promise cable puts the power and data cables together.

Here is how I hacked the darn thing together with stuff I had laying around:

1) find spare sata cable you bought but never used.
2) disconnect j2 cable from ssd #2

3) disconnect j2 data for ssd #2 from motherboard.
4) dremel off piece of usb card provided cable and stick it into now free j2 power slot 

5) run data cable from mother board to ssd #2

6) run 1 part of y cable from usb motherboard into ssd #2
7) run 2nd part of y cable into back of usb card.

Result: USB pciE card now working with power stolen from only 5 volt connector on mac pro mother board.

thanks again!

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
Ok so followup, but going with this solution noted in post 11 above works great!

I am powering the U.2 drive and a SATA spinner and a SATA SSD, all directly plugged into sata, none via the USB port there. And I basically have another SATA power port dangling, so I probably could plug in another drive, and I guess connect it via the USB port, if I wanted.

FYI part of the toil for this is I wanted a Windows Boot Camp drive, and it needs it's own drive and only plugged into the SATA port (it wont work via USB drive).

Last edited:
Reactions: arw
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.