Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alohamade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
This definitely isn't meant to be a 7 vs. 7+ thread! I think both phones are amazing.

I just wanted to see how many people out there who went from a 6+ or 6+ to a regular 7 were happy with their purchase. For me, I really loved my iPhone 6s+ and used for all of last year, but I decided to take a shot and experiment with the regular 7 this year because of OIS in the main camera, the closed gap in battery life between the 7 and 7+, and of course, the portability.

While I'm sure I'm missing out on the better camera, I do think that the main shooter on the 7 is fantastic and the telephoto not having OIS is a slight bummer. And the money I would have spent toward a 128GB 7 Plus went toward a 256GB 7, so now I feel like I have so much space to do whatever I want.

The battery life on my 7 versus my 6s+ (which was only replaced two weeks ago) is also very similar, which makes me happy.

I definitely would consider a Plus if the bezels shrank next year, but for now I'm pretty happy with portability!

How does everyone else feel?

thatinkjar

Cancelled
Oct 23, 2007
Yes, I'm quite pleased with the upgrade from my 6s Plus to a regular 7. I've had a Plus for 2 years and didn't think I would be able to downgrade to the smaller size, but I've lost 88 pounds this year and felt the Plus was just a little too big for me now. I also switched to the silver colour, which is a nice change from space grey.

The 7 doesn't feel dramatically different (other than the obvious: size, weight and screen size). The performance is just about the same. The screen is a little warmer as a lot of people have pointed out, but I really like that. I miss the higher resolution display as anyone would, but the smaller form factor was just more important to me this time around.

I don't really use the camera too often so I can't comment on that, but I use the speakers heaps and they're a big improvement for music (but less so for podcasts in my testing). At the moment, my biggest disappointment is the battery life: I was hoping it would match my 6s Plus (Apple's numbers suggest it should), but it's closer to a regular 6 that I tried some time ago. We'll see if things improve after a few more days (or even a few software updates).

This is also the first year that I haven't had some sort of blemish on a launch iPhone. My 6s Plus had a lot of shadowing at the top of the screen and a dark corner that got worse over time, which really bugged me. The home button also wiggled a lot, which is why I absolutely love the new one on the 7. The volume and power buttons are also firmer and feel less tacky to me this year (I suspect the waterproofing helped with this).

I can't honestly recommend the upgrade to anyone with a 6s or 6s Plus if they're relatively happy, but I was keen to switch sizes and colours anyway so it made it more compelling for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: mokinhaz

alohamade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Yes, I'm quite pleased with the upgrade from my 6s Plus to a regular 7. I've had a Plus for 2 years and didn't think I would be able to downgrade to the smaller size, but I've lost 88 pounds this year and felt the Plus was just a little too big for me now. I also switched to the silver colour, which is a nice change from space grey.

The 7 doesn't feel dramatically different (other than the obvious: size, weight and screen size). The performance is just about the same. The screen is a little warmer as a lot of people have pointed out, but I really like that. I miss the higher resolution display as anyone would, but the smaller form factor was just more important to me this time around.

I don't really use the camera too often so I can't comment on that, but I use the speakers heaps and they're a big improvement for music (but less so for podcasts in my testing). At the moment, my biggest disappointment is the battery life: I was hoping it would match my 6s Plus (Apple's numbers suggest it should), but it's closer to a regular 6 that I tried some time ago. We'll see if things improve after a few more days (or even a few software updates).

This is also the first year that I haven't had some sort of blemish on a launch iPhone. My 6s Plus had a lot of shadowing at the top of the screen and a dark corner that got worse over time, which really bugged me. The home button also wiggled a lot, which is why I absolutely love the new one on the 7. The volume and power buttons are also firmer and feel less tacky to me this year (I suspect the waterproofing helped with this).

I can't honestly recommend the upgrade to anyone with a 6s or 6s Plus if they're relatively happy, but I was keen to switch sizes and colours anyway so it made it more compelling for me.

First of all - Congrats on your weight loss! That's an incredible achieve for anyone, in any context!

I definitely do appreciate the stereo speakers, and I'm curious now on battery life with what you've said. Battery life on mine compared to the new 6s Plus I just got a few weeks ago with a replacement was similar.

And I can imagine how excited you are to not have a blemish! That's huge. Any imperfection with these things always throws me off.

Allewsive

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2015
I upgraded from a silver 6s+ and I am enjoying it a lot right now. Of course, it's still brand new so I am still in that honeymoon phase, but here is what I really like:
- The matte black is super classy looking
- Stereo speakers are better than expected
- The cameras are wonderful and awesome with macro shots
- The wide color is noticeable in many apps
- The display brightness is also noticeably better in direct sunlight!
- The camera flash is brighter by a good bit

I am still getting used to the home button, as it really does not feel like a button AT all, but I kinda like it. We will see!

alohamade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
I upgraded from a silver 6s+ and I am enjoying it a lot right now. Of course, it's still brand new so I am still in that honeymoon phase, but here is what I really like:
- The matte black is super classy looking
- Stereo speakers are better than expected
- The cameras are wonderful and awesome with macro shots
- The wide color is noticeable in many apps
- The display brightness is also noticeably better in direct sunlight!
- The camera flash is brighter by a good bit

I am still getting used to the home button, as it really does not feel like a button AT all, but I kinda like it. We will see!

Yes to all of them! I seriously love the matte black and the new wide color gamut. I paired my phone with Belkin's anti-glare and I couldn't be happier with how visible it is in sunlight!

jtwlbz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2014
Got black 7+ from 6s plus.
I dont like black it looks cheap.
The phone makes creaky noise when i grab it.
Stereo speaker is good.
Camera is not that much.
Like the home button with haptic.

My 6s+ feels more premium build quality when i grab. I dont know why.
7+ feels lighter and plastic feeling.

tonyunreal

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2010
I've upgraded from a 6 Plus to the iPhone 7, still suspicious about whether the battery life is good enough for me (some apps consumes way more battery than the others), but everything else so far has been pretty good. Especially the stereo speakers and the camera.

powerocool

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Went from iPhone 6 Plus to 6s Plus to 7 Plus. Here's what I think.

-7 is the best iPhone 6 ever made.

-From iPhone 6 to 6s it felt good. There were many big issues such as speed and durability that was much needed. So 6s felt very fast and solid.
- from 6s to 7, even though there were lots of refinements, none of the areas were seriously broken in 6s. So it feels less needed.

I'm very happy with the new phone, but I can live with 6s Plus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.