Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maxmaut

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
I've got an iPhone 6 with latest iOS version installed that I'm using since the release day.

Two weeks ago it suddenly started having connection problems. Even when I'm in a very close proximity to the router it shows 1-2 wifi bars. I thought it might be the router, changed the channel to every single available, nothing helped. One more iPhone 6s Plus, iPad and two Macbooks use same network, and connection is very strong, across the whole apartment.

Also, maybe I'm getting paranoid, but it feels like the quality of calls dropped significantly and the signal of my carries got much weaker.

I did a factory reset, didn't help.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Minho

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2017
Montreal, Canada
The iPhone 6 is known to develop issues with the Baseband CPU. The baseband IC is responsible for managing the various radios in the phone. Typically, the symptoms are "searching" for GSM and not showing the IMEI.

Your post initially starts out talking about WiFi issues but you also mention call quality. I don't think this is your specific issue but it's something you should keep in mind if the problem develops into something else.

flaubert

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Another thing that is known to happen with iPhones (of all generations, but especially as they age) is that the solder joints of some chips degrade. I've seen it happen quite a bit with iPhone 4s models (my daughter went through 2 with this problem), but I wouldn't doubt that it is still possible with later models, too. For some reason the radio chip is especially susceptible to this. One tell-tale diagnostic method is to heat the back of the affected phone (gently!) with a hair dryer, and then note whether you're getting better wifi reception or call quality or whatever. You just want it noticeably warm to the touch, not so hot that you're uncomfortable holding it. You can also try applying an ice pack to the back of the phone, then check performance, same deal. If the phone improves noticeably under either of these scenarios, bad news: you likely have cracked solder joints under that crucial chip. I've bought time on my daughter's phone by completely disassembling it and then applying heat using a surface mount hot air rework station, but for the general consumer this is a clear sign that it is time to buy a new phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.