Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mj0n3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2016
Hello All,

I want to keep things short and sweet here and here is my issue :

I have an iPhone that is lost/found and at the moment the owner is untraceable, so i'm left with a device that is locked (it asks for a pin when i turn on) so i'm not sure on what can be done, can i jailbreak it but i read that there is something called as iCloud..

Honestly, never imagined of using a iPhone since i'm not really wealthy person.

Can there be any way i can use this phone ?? been reading about for past 2 and half months and much of the tools that were mentioned in youtube were ads. surveys and the zips were password protected.

I'm not sure if something can be done here and we have the phone in possession for about 4 - 5 months now..

Any help would be appreciated... at-least using the phone as a multimedia device would be fine since i have a good android smart phone :) (Xiaomi 4)

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
You can try restoring it through iTunes to see if it is iCloud activation locked. If it is, you are out of luck, there is nothing you can do to bypass that security. If nothing else you should take it to an Apple store so they can attempt to find the owner.

Reactions: eyoungren

StarkCity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
California
Hello All,

I want to keep things short and sweet here and here is my issue :

I have an iPhone that is lost/found and at the moment the owner is untraceable, so i'm left with a device that is locked (it asks for a pin when i turn on) so i'm not sure on what can be done, can i jailbreak it but i read that there is something called as iCloud..

Honestly, never imagined of using a iPhone since i'm not really wealthy person.

Can there be any way i can use this phone ?? been reading about for past 2 and half months and much of the tools that were mentioned in youtube were ads. surveys and the zips were password protected.

I'm not sure if something can be done here and we have the phone in possession for about 4 - 5 months now..

Any help would be appreciated... at-least using the phone as a multimedia device would be fine since i have a good android smart phone :) (Xiaomi 4)

Even if you were to bypass the numeric password to get into it, you still wouldn't be able to bypass iCloud. Any tools or sites that suggest they can are fraudulent.

Reactions: mj0n3 and eyoungren

mj0n3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2016
You can try restoring it through iTunes to see if it is iCloud activation locked. If it is, you are out of luck, there is nothing you can do to bypass that security. If nothing else you should take it to an Apple store so they can attempt to find the owner.
Thanks not sure about iTunes but will see what can be done...its like a paperweight now :)

StarkCity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
California
Nope all i see is iphone disabled enter pin.

If it's 'disabled'..... Normally the only thing that can be done is an iTunes or dfu restore. Problem is you'll be prompted to enter the iCloud password to do so, which you don't have. Depending on how the owner had it set up, failing to provide the right numeric passcode 10 times may have erased the data on the device and will not utilize Siri as iPhones do not come with Siri toggled on, Siri is activated during the setup process. Which you'll never be able to get into..... Without iCloud credentials..... It's a Paperweight, sell it for parts, or walk it into an Apple Store and hand it over if you feel like being a good samaritan.

Last edited:

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
May I ask how you know that the owner of the iPhone is not traceable?

If this was my situation I'd be handing it into the authorities or an Apple Store.

As mentioned it's of no use due to the lockouts applied.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.