Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hezzerlah

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Columbus, OH
I've had the 4, 5, 6 and skipped the 7 last year because of the rumors that the 10th anniversary phone would be amazing. So now I'm torn. 8+ or X. My 6 is starting to limp a bit. Battery is decreasing. Getting glitchier. Anyone else upgrading from a 6?

IFortWorth

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2014
Since the size of the X is much closer to your 6, I would suggest waiting the extra month. I've had the plus since the release it and don't have a problem with the larger phone, but several around me much prefer their smaller phones. The next question is just do you want all the changes and potential growing pains that will come with the X.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Why do you want a + instead of the regular size?

I think at that price I would jump to the X. For me, I'm deciding between the 8 and the X. $300 more, but I don't know if it's worth it, for me.

I'm also considering saving some more $$ and going with a 7 until next year.

Droidbricker

Suspended
Sep 13, 2016
I've had the 4, 5, 6 and skipped the 7 last year because of the rumors that the 10th anniversary phone would be amazing. So now I'm torn. 8+ or X. My 6 is starting to limp a bit. Battery is decreasing. Getting glitchier. Anyone else upgrading from a 6?

If you want to see and use the entire display get the 8+.
If you want to see and use most of the display except for a little bit get the X.

Sugadaddy

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2010

Exactly the same for me, got the 4, 5 and 6 at their launch. I skipped the 7 because it wasn't a new design, so the 8 isn't really an option in my mind.

I was all set for the X, but the price in Canada is making me think twice about how much I actually use my phone. Right now I'm leaning towards just getting a new battery in my 6 and waiting another year.

Reactions: wbeasley

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
I bought the 7+ last year and hate the size, just doesn't fit well in the jean pockets. I normally don't upgrade annually even though I pay for it. But this year Oct can't come soon enough, getting the X model.
[doublepost=1505416893][/doublepost]
If you want to see and use the entire display get the 8+.
If you want to see and use most of the display except for a little bit get the X.
You still get to use the entire display on the X model. Stop spreading misunderstood information. It's like saying you can't use all of the display on the 8 but you can on the 8+.

Reactions: PanAm-L1011

mooshhie

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2010
I also have this dilemma (Going back and forth on what I really want). I have an iPhone 6 with major screen glitches and warping. So I'm ready to upgrade!

I was so ready to buy the iPhone X, but the timing of it sucks. I'm going on an overseas trip the week the iPhone X goes on pre-oder and I was hoping to have the phone before my trip. So I'm now considering the iPhone 8 Plus 256 GB, but not sure if I'll regret it and would want the X...I just wish it was available before I went on my overseas trip.

Should I just get the iPhone 8 Plus 256 GB or the iPhone X?

Kn!ghthawk

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2016
I'm in the same situation with a 6 at the moment. I'm waiting for the X. As others have said while the screen Realestate is nice on the + the actual size of the phone makes it cumbersome and unwieldy. As it is with the 6 it can be hard to get it to fit into some pockets etc. Having the entire face of the phone usable for a screen (notch aside idc) makes a huge difference in the same footprint at the 6. I have an iPad I use quite a bit for work related docs, forms research etc. the 5.8" screen might just be enough for me to abandon the iPad for most of what I use it for work wise. Maybe not completely replace it but certainly I won't be SOL if I forget it.

duckson

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2015
Preston, UK
I'm going for a 7 plus from my 6s plus, just feel there is more difference from 6s plus to 7 plus than 7 plus to 8 plus and it's £300+ cheaper (eBay for new/nearly new 7 plus 128 or 256 vs 8 plus 256).

AidenL

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2013
Ireland
Im a 6+ user also, have done 4, 5 and 6 actually also.

I want the smaller form factor also and thats driving me towards the X, as it will have the better camera also as on the Plus.

Reactions: iHeartsteve

Borracho400

macrumors member
May 7, 2007
I have a 6+ (64 Gb) and will purchase the 8+ (64 Gb).

The price tag of the X, the notch, and seeing as all internal components are similar to the 8/8+, do not make it worthwhile for me to spend an additional $300. I will wait another 2-3 years and get an OLED iPhone then, which I'm sure all iPhones at that time will have.

eyedoc2020

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2015
NOVA
Currently rocking my 6s+. I am not sure what I will purchase this year. It will either be the iPhone 8+ or the Samsung Note 8. I am not paying 1149 for a phone.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
I was in the same boat. Have a 6, love it, but showing its age.
I am going to an 8+. If I hate the form factor, then it might be the phone I own for the shortest time... :)

I don't need to latest and greatest (well, it will be for about a month or so).

Not against FaceID, but I need to be convinced of its security, even though I don't
have an evil twin brother... :)

Reactions: ForumChick

videojanitor

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2017
Northern CA
I will upgrading from a 6+ to an 8+, but probably for a different reason than most. My 6+ is still working fine -- I would continue to use it until it died -- but I recently switched from Verizon to T-Mobile, and discovered that the 6+ is only partially compatible with T-Mobile, as it doesn't receive all the bands on which they transmit. Hence, the LTE coverage is pretty spotty. In many locations it works great, but go a few miles and suddenly all I get is plain 4G, or Edge. As I understand it, this was addressed starting with the 6s. I could just upgrade to that, but if I'm getting something new, might as well get the 8+.

mbhforum

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Just posted this in another thread similar:

I have a 6s right now and passed on the 7 since it was probably the smallest upgrade in IPhone history. I have been torn since the keynote between upgrading to a 8+ or getting an X. I decided today to get the 64 GB 8+ And I will be picking it up on launch day and here is my logic why:
  • Going from a 6 base to a + model will feel like a huge upgrade out of the box. I have been hesitant moving to a larger phone as I like to operate with one hand, but all my friends who have switched love it and say they wouldn't look back. I realize people already on the + model will not consider this an upgrade. I use my iPad Air 2 all the time, and I am hoping now with the +, I will use the iPhone more than the iPad. The obvious battery benefits are huge as well.
  • FaceID is a way to unlock the phone and to me, is not a new feature. I already have that feature with TouchID and it works flawlessly and I just can't imagine FaceID working as well especially at night when I grab my phone in the middle of the night, or in the car while stopped at a red light, etc. Yes, it's more secure, but I will take my chances that I don't come across someone who has similar fingerprints than me grabbing my phone.
  • It's $200 cheaper.
  • I can't get over the notch on the X. I think I will find it distracting. I would feel a lot differently if it was a true edge to edge device like some of the mock ups we've seen.
  • I like to know my battery % which apparently is not possible on the X.
  • I think the best feature announced on X and 8 line was wireless charging, so I am excited about getting that, especially for nighttime bedside. OLED definitely sounds great, but I've always found the iPhone displays very crisp and sharp and never thought to myself "I wish the display was sharper". Just like at home when I watch on my 4K 65" TV, I don't wish I had OLED.
  • Finally, I have 14 days to try the plus and if I don't like it, I will return it and wait for the X.
I found myself trying to convince myself I really wanted the X, and perhaps I will feel differently after trying the +, but for now, I am giving the 8+ a shot.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
You decide based on your need and value.

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
I bought the 7+ last year and hate the size, just doesn't fit well in the jean pockets. I normally don't upgrade annually even though I pay for it. But this year Oct can't come soon enough, getting the X model.
[doublepost=1505416893][/doublepost]
You still get to use the entire display on the X model. Stop spreading misunderstood information. It's like saying you can't use all of the display on the 8 but you can on the 8+.

Droidbecker is right. the corners and notch do impact on usable screen space.

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014

Get the iPhone X. I’ve been using it since day one and I love it. The screen size is right, the phone size is right. The build and feel of the phone is absolutely luxurious. The notch won’t bother you at all, I only notice it when I think about it. Like my nose, I don’t see it unless I think about it. This is easily the best iPhone Apple has made, it’s also the best looking and most premium phone on the market.

For comparison: Two nurses at my job have the Samsung s8 and one has the note8, only thing that looks good on those phones are the screen, everything else looks and feels plastic and cheap. I don’t use my phone with a case and even they ask to see my phone, they love the premium look and feel.

Oh and I must warn you, that front camera is on point for selfies. Get the iPhone X and don’t look back!

Reactions: Jetcat3

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I vote for the X, because its just not a rehash of the 6/7/8. Its a brand new design with some nice new features not present in the other models.

skywalkerr69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2011
New York
I’m upgrading from the 6 which is pretty crippled on iOS 11. I’ve said it in other posts, and i can’t wait to get my X. 11/30 can’t come soon enough!

PanAm-L1011

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Republic of California
Droidbecker is right. the corners and notch do impact on usable screen space.

No they don’t. The notch gives us extra space. It was either a notch or a dull top bezel with the information on either side of the notch pushed down giving less screen space. Apple made a smart design decision with the notch.

I haven’t like a iPhone this much since the original. The 8 is a rehash is a design that’a been around for three years going on 4. Boring.
[doublepost=1510497250][/doublepost]
For comparison: Two nurses at my job have the Samsung s8 and one has the note8, only thing that looks good on those phones are the screen, everything else looks and feels plastic and cheap. I don’t use my phone with a case and even they ask to see my phone, they love the premium look and feel.

Oh and I must warn you, that front camera is on point for selfies. Get the iPhone X and don’t look back!

I had the Note 8 for a few days. It is a beautiful phone and does not feel cheap at all. I would have kept it if I could have figure out how the hell to sync music with iTunes. Really sucked because it was an amazing phone. In fact, the look of the X reminds me a lot of the look of the Note 8. There are other reasons I left the Note 8, but the design of the phone was not one of them. Totally a premium phone as well as the X.

KGB7

Suspended
Jun 15, 2017
Rockville, MD
Limp how?
Do a fresh install of iOS, which replaces all limps 90% of the time.
Get a new battery if you need one.

Save your money till next fall for iPhone 9 or 11.

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
I went from the 6S Plus to the X.

I had updated it to ios11, didn't care for it on that phone and restored 10.3.3, so it was like a clean install.

Replaced the battery at the Apple Store this past May and within a few months it was back to not lasting an 8.5 hour shift at work.

If you're ready to learn a few new gestures then I say go for an X if you're coming from a 6. Coming from a Plus it was a bit of an adjust going to the smaller screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.