Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tachanka

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2021
Screenshot 2023-12-02 at 1.05.11 PM.jpg

Apple TV Can Be Restored With an iPhone Starting With iOS 17
This is a step in the right direction.

Last edited:
Reactions: JBaby

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
In the 11 years I’ve been using tv’s I can’t say I’ve ever found a time when the USB port was ever needed on the previous models that had one and don’t feel I’m missing out on the models that don’t have one.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Yeah, there are a lot of things that Apple could have done better on the recent ATVs, imo. On the most recent, they shouldn't have removed the fan, or at least have the more expensive model include a fan for active cooling.

The USB port removal seems like a dumb move, I always thought it was to prevent jailbreaking tvOS.

But, like @-Gonzo- mentioned, I bet most people have never used the USB port after the original ATV. I feel like I used the USB port on the original a lot. I think I used it for external storage and/or an RF remote with more playback options than the white one that came with it.

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
In the 11 years I’ve been using tv’s I can’t say I’ve ever found a time when the USB port was ever needed on the previous models that had one and don’t feel I’m missing out on the models that don’t have one.

I have but having one didn’t fix the issue so I don’t care that it’s gone now.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Having a "normal" (not single purpose) USB port would offer a LOT of potential utility to the little box such as:
  • For those who can remember the great media-sync capabilities of gen 1, attach some storage and sync again. Unlike gen 1 where Apple made storage capacity decisions for ALL, external storage options would allow users to attach however much storage they desire. Those not interested in this feature wouldn't be paying for any external storage.
  • Wired cam for Facetime/Skype/Zoom, etc. Yes, Continuity Camera somewhat covers this for FaceTime only but a wired option would let users choose whatever resolution camera they want and work with all conferencing software instead of only one of them.
  • AUX audio for all of the Zone 2/Zone 3 receiver users who need analog out to use those other zones. As is, there are various audio splitters to try to cover this but getting one that properly maintains CEC and HDR features seems like needle in a haystack.
...etc. I would love to see USB revived and the AUX port too so that a USB dongle would not be required. And I'd love to see gen 1 media sync resurrected as a user option. IMO, that was a GREAT feature limited by the Corp choosing storage size. Hackers found a way to create SOME flexibility with storage but I believe that capped out at 2TB. A USB port that allows each person to choose whatever storage they want- if any- would be a much better option.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tachanka

Tachanka

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2021
@-Gonzo- This is the ideal scenario and I hope that continues. The impetus behind this post was a friend of mines Apple TV being unable to output video and continuously flashing its front LED. Being unable to restore and not being prompted to restore with his iPhone leaves him with only one option; go to Apple. How that will go is really up in the air. It is the 2021 6th gen/2nd Gen 4K Apple TV bought around the time of release so it is out of limited warranty. They could replace it for free or they could ask $150 for a replacement/inform him that buying a new one would be best. Based on my research I have seen both outcomes.

For developers and those willing to risk beta testing on their Apple TV’s it is not possible to rollback or “revive” an Apple TV 4K like one is able to do with 4th Gen Apple TV’s. Though as I stated it is a risk that is clearly outlined when installing prerelease software but still a little disappointing compared to prior models.

For the average user, I agree most will not be bothered by the lack of a USB port until something goes wrong but in the case of these edge scenarios it is more inconvenient.

Anecdotally none of my 4Ks have ever had this issue in my 5ish years of ownership but I have had to restore earlier Apple TVs(3rd & 4th gens) and it has saved said hardware from being otherwise scrapped in favor of new hardware.

Notably Apple allows the HomePod mini to be restored via USB in a similar fashion to the older Apple TV’s.

All that being said it is possible it is a genuinely possible that it is hardware failure. In which case a USB port for reviving would be moot.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Wired cam for Facetime/Skype/Zoom, etc. Yes, Continuity Camera somewhat covers this for FaceTime only but a wired option would let users choose whatever resolution camera they want and work with all conferencing software instead of only one of them.
This is the most obvious one for me.

Continuity is too janky. First, you lose access to your iphone. Sometimes when I am facetiming someone, I want to be able to message them a photo or an email, or reference something in an app while talking to them. Second, the iPhone mics are just not well-suited for picking up voices 10-15 feet away and the sound quality is therefore pretty crappy for folks on the other end of the call.

I'd love to see Apple release a new iSight camera that plugs into an AppleTV with noise-canceling mics on it, and use the mic built-in to the AppleTV remote as well. This can't possibly be hard to do. 99% of the software they would need to create already exists within Apple's iOS/tvOS ecosystem. They can use the same image sensor from the iMac or iPad Pro or something. This should be a side-project for a PM, with maybe a few hundred hours of engineering / design time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.