Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robogirl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2023
Hi!
My ATV (4K, 1st gen, tvOS 17.1) jitters when playing back 1080p@60 fps content in specific cases, such as playing videos through Home Sharing and Twitch VODs — but not Twitch streams or YouTube videos, for instance.
This problem is easiest to reproduce when ATV's resolution is set to 4K, and happens less/the jitter is shorter when set at 1080p. Display settings such as range/framerate matching, chroma subsampling modes, switching between 59.96/60 Hz, or even wireless audio sync don't seem to affect this behaviour. Dynamic range is permanently set to SDR.

I'm sure this issue is not due to HDMI/TV because:
1) again, the ATV doesn't have a problem with 1080@60 fps content in more typical cases
2) the UI remains fluid
Still, this happens on both TVs I've tried: Samsung AU8000 and a random JVC, using an HDMI 2.0-compatible cable.

Here's an example recorded through QuickTime on a Mac, jitter starts at 20 seconds:
(sample video here)

In general seems related to this issue, though I believe it's not caused by the Twitch app, but rather some sort of bug in ATV's playback backend

stockseer

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2012
Florida
Looks fairly typical from buffering/jitter related to internet connection or speed; not the computer or software. (I had similar until not just fiber gigaspeed internet but a new gateway modem... which supports WiFi6. So anyway my 2 cents; check your thruput..

robogirl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2023
Yes, my Apple TV 4K 1. Gen did the same. It went away with the update to the latest Apple TV.
I really hoped the latest update would finally fix this, this issue is annoying me a lot — but it didn't. I'm on tvOS 17.1. Two people in the reddit issue I linked also say that the update didn't help.

Looks fairly typical from buffering/jitter related to internet connection or speed; not the computer or software. (I had similar until not just fiber gigaspeed internet but a new gateway modem... which supports WiFi6. So anyway my 2 cents; check your thruput..
Thanks, but buffering looks different on ATV. Also, much heftier files play fine, as long as they are the typical 30 fps or less.

robogirl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2023
Update: this happens when watching regular Twitch streams as well, but like... way later. I hate Apple 😒

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.