Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeadSirius

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
I'm picking up from a thread on the Mac Pro board...

I finally got Windows Home XP SP2 installed on my Mac Pro with the ATI X1900. Windows will not see my monitor as other than default, and won't let me increase the resolution above 640*480.

I have installed the Mac driver CD. Twice. I even burned a second copy and installed that. No change.

I have gone to the ATI website and downloaded the Catalyst 6.9 driver, which as far as I can tell is what I'm supposed to be using. It downloads and launches just fine, but then immediately crashes. It's as though the computer won't look past the CPU to access the GPU.

A poster on the Mac Pro board said I needed both NET 2.0 and NET 1.1. This is greek to me. I can tell that NET 2.0 is installed, but I can't tell where I would get NET 1.1, whatever that is. What is my next step?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Be aware that a firend of mine just went through a related ordeal installing WIn2K on a generic Conroe box he built. He had to install in a very specific order, I think it was .NET 1.1 the catalyst driver .NET 2.0 the ATI desktop front end.

B

DeadSirius

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
balamw said:
He had to install in a very specific order, I think it was .NET 1.1 the catalyst driver .NET 2.0 the ATI desktop front end.

::sigh:: None of this is working....

Whatever file I got when downloading 1.1 refuses to do anything because it claims that whatever it needs to modify isn't there. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling 2.0. The ATI Catalyst program always quits after a promising opening screen, with a message to the effect of "Setup didn't run because installation failed".

Are you listing 3 things or 4? (Is "the ATI desktop front end" something else I'm supposed to be installing?)

I'd be happy that Windows is finally working, but this resolution is unacceptable.,,,

m3henn04

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2006
I did it all last night and got it working just fine....I installed .net 2.0 then .net 1.1 and then the catalyst driver and it seemed to work fine after a restart. I am on a macpro 2.66 ati x1900xt 1gig ram. I also had to install my monitor driver inorder to get the DVI to work properly...before that it was only working with the DVI-VGA adapter. Since I have gotten it all to work it runs XP Pro faster than any PC I have been on.

Windows 64bit seems to already have the driver install but you will need to manually download and install the other drivers for things like the network card etc....There is another posting on here that gives all of the links to get the proper drives. the problem with 64bit XP is that many of the the programs dont work unless they are specifically for the 64bit OS.

m3henn04

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2006
The ATI catalyst program quits because you do not have 1.1 installed. Once you get 1.1 installed everything should work fine for you. Good Luck.

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
That's strange. I'm inclined to say that either your slipstreamed XP didn't install correctly or that you used a wrong (older?) Boot Camp driver install CD.

I installed Win XP SP2 on my X1900 w/ the Boot Camp drivers and the machine came up and ran perfectly, supporting my max resolution of 1680 for my Dell 2005FPW.

So, I'm kinda stumped. :confused:

I did install the ATI Catalyst drivers, but several days later and only to do some framerate comparisions.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Palad1 said:
Besides, since when did device drivers rely on .Net? Windows is still walking on its head...
It's not the driver itself, but the doohickey that allows you to tweak the driver's settings that seems to be dependent on .NET

B

Palad1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2004
London, UK
Oh, I see.

I'm quite positive then that all this app does is alter a registry key. Maybe a good soul could send the key to the O.P. so he can hack to his heart's delight.

Too bad I'm not 'blessed' with an Intel Mac, can't help you there, good luck !

DeadSirius

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Success!!

Though not nearly as straightforward as this thread makes it sound. (m3henn04 was right, I did not have NET 1.1 installed like I thought. And what's more confusing, all of the versions of NET x.x seem to have the SAME FILENAME.) For the benefit of those who need as much hand-holding as I do, here's what worked for me:

I wiped the drive and restarted from scratch. Burned a new Mac driver CD, reinstalled Windows, installed the Mac drivers.

Fired up Explorer, googled ".net 1.1", followed the link, downloaded the file, installed it. Then I stashed the file into a folder, since the NET 2.0 download has the same filename.

Explorer to "ati.com". Followed the links to the Drivers/Radeon/Catalyst 6.9 page. Downloaded the two files on that page, which include the proper version of NET 2.0. (There's actually more than one, which adds more confusion.) Here's where there's more to the story than said previously. ATI says that all ATI files need to be removed before installing Catalyst. Control Panels/AddRemove did not reveal any ATI software, but the manual process they describe in detail revealed several ATI files, which I removed per their instructions.

Now note, in contradiction to previous advice: ATI SAYS TO INSTALL NET 2.0 FIRST, THEN CATALYST. This I did. Catalyst installs, and immediately launches itself. CRASH. "Setup failed to be installed" (or whatever). AGGHHH!!!! Installed again, but it gave even more resistance.

Papers thrown across the room. Restart the computer, maybe the NETs needed a reset. Control panel verified that they're both there. Install Catalyst again. It works!! Setup Wizard offers me several resolutions, and Windows is bestowed readable beauty.

Now why doesn't Windows see my external firewire drives...?

contoursvt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
DeadSirius said:
Success!!

...why doesn't Windows see my external firewire drives...?

If the drives are not NTFS or FAT or FAT32 formatted, then it wont see them. If they have never been formatted (or you want to switch from OSX formatting to NTFS) then you have to right click my computer, then go to manage then go to disk management. Find the drive you want and either create a partition if there is none or reformat it if you want to mount it as a new drive in windows.

The drive/partition with the shading is the active system one so dont try and play with that ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.