Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I bought mobileme only because the guy who sold me my mbp15 said that it could backup files. (Well, I found it it came with "Backup" Of which I still can't find)

Seeing as how it is $100 a year for 20gb of space, should I keep it?
I have been sifting through the forums, but it seems that a percentage mobileme users feel as if it is lesser to gmail.

What else can this $100 program do besides email? I know it has the idisk, but I have an 8gb flash drive, and time machine for backups.

I wouldn't mind the $100, if I could actually use the program, so Can someone fill me in on it?

Thank you very much!!

I think the people that get the most value from MobileMe have an iPhone. Do you have an iPhone? If so, you can have Push Email, Contacts and Calendar to your iPhone which Sync's with your Mac.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
I like having push e-mail/contacts/calendars that work across Macs and my iPhone. Especially once my girlfriend and I both have iPhones and MobileMe and can share contacts/calendar events easily... it'll be really convenient. The Back to My Mac functionality is also very handy—takes the annoyance out of connecting to my home machine from remote locations.

I'm also a fan of the MobileMe Gallery function for my photos.

But if you don't see yourself needing those things (or the web hosting it provides), then the service probably isn't worth it to you.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
What else can this $100 program do besides email? I know it has the idisk, but I have an 8gb flash drive, and time machine for backups.

The best feature of MobileMe (even better than email and the iDisk), is the syncing of your calendars, contacts and bookmarks across multiple Macs (and iPhones/iPod touches, if you have them).

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Everything Apple does is to gain more money. ;)

Here's why I personally like MobileMe.

1. If I add something to my Windows calendar or address book at work, that change is pushed to both my iPhone and my Mac at home (and vice-versa). As a result, I actually use my calendar and address book a lot more because no matter where I add a new entry (or edit an existing entry), the info is synched to all of the computers I use.

2. iPhoto and iMovie directly integrate with the MobileMe web gallery, and I like how the web gallery looks. I can control the quality of the pictures, pick the resolution of my movies, give people the ability to download pictures in the same resolution I shot them in, give people the ability to upload shots that I may have missed to my gallery, and I can hide certain galleries from the page so people have to have a direct link to see them.

3. I can access my iDisk from any computer with a web browser. This makes it super easy for me to copy files to and from work. For example, I took home a company-made DVD tonight and used VisualHub to rip it to a WMV format so we can distribute it all of the PCs at work. I put the result on my iDisk, so tomorrow when I get back to work, it'll take like 30 seconds to download. Or if I'm at work and download some MP3s from Amazon.com, I can pop them up on my iDisk and pull them down at home.

Pretty much all of those features can be found for free on various websites across the Internet, but I don't have to hassle with a different sign-on for each website, and I like how each of these features integrates directly with my Mac.

There's a lot to MobileMe. If you're only going to use one feature, then it's probably not a service you'll feel you'll get any value out of.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Thanks ^^

I've been reading that, but I just remember seeing someone use a mobileme gallery to put videos on it.

But I other than what the website says, it seems to just be a way for apple to just gain more money. I would like to keep it, because it is integrated with mac, but the $100 is making me lean towards gmail.

Thank you for everyone's help, and if anyone else has more to say, please don't hold back!

Thanks again!

If you don't have at least two of these...

• an iPhone/iPod touch
  • multiple Macs you want/need to keep in sync
  • a consistent need for the iDisk

...MobileMe is probably not for you.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
If you don't have at least two of these...

• an iPhone/iPod touch
  • multiple Macs you want/need to keep in sync
  • a consistent need for the iDisk

...MobileMe is probably not for you.

Ditto that. There are cheaper if not free back up options out there and I find it's cheaper to get a FTP server to use instead.

Basically FTP server with like 60GB of space with free Gmail makes more sense if you don't have the aforementioned products to make use of MobileMe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.