Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cinder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2004
Seattle
Does anyone have any recommendations for a 6ft lightning to 3.5mm audio cable that works with the Airpods Max?
It's for occasionally goofing around in Logic X Pro.

I have the Apple one but the length of it is a little short.

The trick is that supposedly not all (any?) non-Apple cables work, or don't work as well?

I'm not clear what special hardware the Apple cable may have given how incredibly thin it is.

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
The cable is only this thin so that friction noise from scrubbing against the cable is not physically transferred to the headphones.
When using the Airpods while charging via a lightning cable, you‘ll hear every movement/poke of the cable in your ears.
That being said, I have no experience with non-Apple cables. The Lightning part in the cable is the Analogue-to-Digital-Converter so a cheap cable probably won‘t provide the same „HiFi“-quality.
I would just add a 3,5mm extension cable. The thicker, the lower the resistance and therefore the signal loss.

Reactions: andyadler

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
Belkin, KINPS, and UGREEN 3.5mm audio to lightning 6ft cables seems to have above average reviews on Amazon with prices ranging from $12-$32 if you have Amazon Prime. All advertise MFI Certified.

cinder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2004
Seattle
Thanks everyone - many of the reviews on Amazon, even of Belkin have weirdly negative responses about audio quality.

I'm gonna try using an 3.5mm extension as that seems to be the least prone to quality issues as the cable is super simple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.