Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

effgee

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
I'm usually quite handy with all things Apple, but this one's got me completely stumped. Two or three days ago, my better half's iPhone 6S running iOS 12.1.4 (16D57) started acting up in the weirdest way I've ever encountered.

When attempting to charge the phone using an original Apple AC adapter (*) and an original Apple USB lightning cable (*) her phone will not charge. Connecting the phone with the same cable to her Mid-2011 MacBook Air (MacBookAir4,2) however, does charge the feckin' thing.

I'm encountering the same issue with various external batteries and our car – connected to most the phone will not recognize the power source, with a few noticeable exceptions such as the car working.

Also, the phone was neither updated since this started happening nor was it dropped and/or did it undergo any other substantial changes that I can think of.

Here's what I've tried so far:
  • Restart the phone, didn't help.
  • Hard reset the phone (hold down "Home & Power" buttons until silver/grey Apple logo shows back up), didn't help.
  • Put phone in DFU mode and restore from backup, didn't help.
Seeing as the phone does charge (reliably and repeatedly) with some sources but not others, I am reasonably sure that we're not talking hardware failure here. But with that I am also pretty much out of ideas on what else to try to get the phone working again.

Anyone else got an idea? Any pointers would be loads appreciated!

(* – known working, and tested using my own iPhone 8 Plus as well as an older iPhone 6)

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
sounds like its a physical problem with the hardware.
i would be looking for minute pin or bent internal (damage) differences between the cables that work and the one cable that doesn't work.

alternatively, if it doesnt charge with a 2nd, new apple store bought cable, then it would prove that the problem is internal to the iPhone 6s itself, not charging with apple cables due to some checking software that is only used with apple cables and that software detecting something it doesnt like internal to your 6s, like the battery's charge regulation firmware not working.

i would be thinking potential fire or explosion hazard if i were you.

Last edited:
Reactions: effgee

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Along with above, maybe lint in the port? Several threads here re: phone charges when lying one way vs won't when in some other position, and lint being the culprit.

effgee

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
sounds like its a physical problem with the hardware. ...
I am starting to believe that you are correct. Continued looking for answers after posting here last night, and came across this link, where the author surmises that the differences in the chargers that work and the ones that don't is the amperage, meaning the strength with which an electric current flows.

"... the Apple-branded wall charger, laptops, and car charger are all 5 volt chargers, but the differentiating factor is amperage. The Apple wall charger delivers a 5V (volt) charge at 1 amp (1A), which is equivalent to 1000 milliamps (1000mA). Most laptops and car chargers deliver a 5V charge at 500 milliamps (500mA), half the amperage of the iPhone wall adapter.

Your iPhone can’t handle the amperage of your wall chargers (1 amp+), but it can handle the amperage of your car and laptop chargers (500mA). Based on some quick discussions I’ve had with experts, this may be due to a problem with the power input regulator circuit, or voltage regulator. ..."

Now I just need to find out where exactly that voltage regulator circuit is located in the iPhone 6S, and with a little luck I may just get away with replacing a relatively cheap part (e.g., the lightning port assembly is $24.99 @ iFixIt)

Anyone know where this "voltage regulator", aka "power input regulator circuit" is located inside an iPhone 6S?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Re: voltage regulator: Look at the iFixit teardown for the phone. Believe it's soldered to the main circuit board for the device.

effgee

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Ack, you're right. And replacing that appears to cost more than the phone is worth by now. As old as it is, seeing that actually makes me alittle sad. It's the first iPhone I've had that was put out of comission by a hardware failure. Hell, even my original iPhone still works, not that it'd do me any good in this situation.

Time for an upgrade, it seems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.