Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I have a 6S I keep because it was one of my favorite phones and it's running iOS12.4. It only gets fired up to make sure it stays between 40-80%, so every few months. The phone worked fine with all apps while on wifi (sim card is in my latest phone) including being signed into iCloud. I saw a video yesterday about 6S/6S+ owners being asked to re-enter their AppleID password to gain access to apps that use iCloud and after doing so they get a message that states the phone can't be activated and you must restore the phone to the latest version of iOS available to your particular device using Finder/iTunes to activate the phone. I fired my phone up and I was met with the enter AppleID password notification shortly after my device connected to wifi. I can use all the apps that don't need to be signed into iCloud to use but get the popup when I try to use App store, iTunes, music, etc. If the wifi is turned off i don't get the banners but the notification badge is showing with "enter AppleID to complete setup" notification in the iCloud tab in settings at the top of the page. I know all I have to do is update to 15.7.1 but I like the phone on iOS12.4 because I don't use it and iOS12 was an almost perfect so why upgrade. Just seems odd Apple would do this.. Here's the video:

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I have a 6S I keep because it was one of my favorite phones and it's running iOS12.4. It only gets fired up to make sure it stays between 40-80%, so every few months. The phone worked fine with all apps while on wifi (sim card is in my latest phone) including being signed into iCloud. I saw a video yesterday about 6S/6S+ owners being asked to re-enter their AppleID password to gain access to apps that use iCloud and after doing so they get a message that states the phone can't be activated and you must restore the phone to the latest version of iOS available to your particular device using Finder/iTunes to activate the phone. I fired my phone up and I was met with the enter AppleID password notification shortly after my device connected to wifi. I can use all the apps that don't need to be signed into iCloud to use but get the popup when I try to use App store, iTunes, music, etc. If the wifi is turned off i don't get the banners but the notification badge is showing with "enter AppleID to complete setup" notification in the iCloud tab in settings at the top of the page. I know all I have to do is update to 15.7.1 but I like the phone on iOS12.4 because I don't use it and iOS12 was an almost perfect so why upgrade. Just seems odd Apple would do this.. Here's the video:
Your issue is different. Like the video shows and says, that bug only exclusively affects devices running the A9 processor on iOS 9. Oh, also, the video is wrong about that: iPads are affected too. The first-gen iPad Pros can’t run iOS 9 either. I should know... I was forced to update my 9.7-inch iPad Pro and iPhone 6s from iOS 9 to iOS 12 and 13 respectively. This issue is abhorrent, is definitely forced obsolescence, and the most abhorrent part is that it’s been around for years. Apple has never solved it, like the video says. Your device should be able to run iOS 12 flawlessly, however. This is different.

It was my only iPad, I wish I could’ve left the device deactivated forever, but I couldn’t. In retrospect, it was the right decision: it is 2023 and the issue remains unsolved. At least I have iOS 12.

Nobody knows exactly why this happens, or why Apple refuses to fix it, but yeah. All iPhones or iPads with A9 processors cannot run iOS 9.

I have an iPhone 6s on iOS 10, which works flawlessly, and my 9.7-inch iPad Pro is still on iOS 12 (in fact, I am writing this from it), and works fine too (other than a 25% reduction in battery life). Your iPhone should be able to use iCloud. The issue is a lot more serious than that: as soon as it connects to the internet it is bricked, there’s nothing you can do other than leave it on Airplane Mode forever. Oh, and once you do get deactivated, you can only update.

Do you want to know something funny about this bug? The video says that the issue has been present since 2018. I first read about it in early 2019, when both devices (my 6s and the 9.7-inch iPad Pro) were still on iOS 9. I was fearful something might happen, but my cards were played: All I could do was pray for them not to be deactivated. The 9.7-inch iPad Pro was forced out in September 2019; the 6s, in December 2019. Both were fine before, even after it supposedly had been running around for a year. I can’t explain why it took so long to affect me, but it did.

One of the most compelling arguments for planned, forced obsolescence: fix the bug and, as a courtesy, allow me to downgrade. Apple’s clear neglect and disdain is a massive indication that they don’t care and can’t be bothered. The fact that it is still happening only tells me that they do not care.

It’s funny, Apple brags constantly about iOS’ adoption rates, but they eliminate the competition. Want to see whether adoption rates are actual proof of iOS updates actually being compelling? Allow downgrading and try again. Many will flock back to see perfect performance and battery life. This case is, like I said, the worst: at least on every other processor/version combination I can willingly stay should I choose to do so. I cannot with this one…

Last edited:

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Your issue is different. Like the video shows and says, that bug only exclusively affects devices running the A9 processor on iOS 9. Oh, also, the video is wrong about that: iPads are affected too. The first-gen iPad Pros can’t run iOS 9 either. I should know... I was forced to update my 9.7-inch iPad Pro and iPhone 6s from iOS 9 to iOS 12 and 13 respectively. This issue is abhorrent, is definitely forced obsolescence, and the most abhorrent part is that it’s been around for years. Apple has never solved it, like the video says. Your device should be able to run iOS 12 flawlessly, however. This is different.

It was my only iPad, I wish I could’ve left the device deactivated forever, but I couldn’t. In retrospect, it was the right decision: it is 2023 and the issue remains unsolved. At least I have iOS 12.

Nobody knows exactly why this happens, or why Apple refuses to fix it, but yeah. All iPhones or iPads with A9 processors cannot run iOS 9.

I have an iPhone 6s on iOS 10, which works flawlessly, and my 9.7-inch iPad Pro is still on iOS 12 (in fact, I am writing this from it), and works fine too (other than a 25% reduction in battery life). Your iPhone should be able to use iCloud. The issue is a lot more serious than that: as soon as it connects to the internet it is bricked, there’s nothing you can do other than leave it on Airplane Mode forever. Oh, and once you do get deactivated, you can only update.

Do you want to know something funny about this bug? The video says that the issue has been present since 2018. I first read about it in early 2019, when both devices (my 6s and the 9.7-inch iPad Pro) were still on iOS 9. I was fearful something might happen, but my cards were played: All I could do was pray for them not to be deactivated. The 9.7-inch iPad Pro was forced out in September 2019; the 6s, in December 2019. Both were fine before, even after it supposedly had been running around for a year. I can’t explain why it took so long to affect me, but it did.

One of the most compelling arguments for planned, forced obsolescence: fix the bug and, as a courtesy, allow me to downgrade. Apple’s clear neglect and disdain is a massive indication that they don’t care and can’t be bothered. The fact that it is still happening only tells me that they do not care.

It’s funny, Apple brags constantly about iOS’ adoption rates, but they eliminate the competition. Want to see whether adoption rates are actual proof of iOS updates actually being compelling? Allow downgrading and try again. Many will flock back to see perfect performance and battery life. This case is, like I said, the worst: at least on every other processor/version combination I can willingly stay should I choose to do so. I cannot with this one…
So you think it's ok to enter my AppleID? I never signed out and it never has shown that notification in the past. I'm afraid if I enter my password it will lock me out.. I'm not trying to activate it, it was already activated years ago.

Update: took a chance and signed in and everything is fine. Guess it just wanted to verify credentials..

Last edited:

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
So you think it's ok to enter my AppleID? I never signed out and it never has shown that notification in the past. I'm afraid if I enter my password it will lock me out.. I'm not trying to activate it, it was already activated years ago.

Update: took a chance and signed in and everything is fine. Guess it just wanted to verify credentials..
Sorry, I did not see it quickly enough. Yeah, it’s totally fine to use it with your Apple ID. iOS 10 through 16 are all okay on A9 devices (of course, iPhones can’t run iOS 16).

Also, there is no risk of your iPhone being deactivated like on iOS 9, unless the “bug” keeps spreading. Which I doubt.

Like the video says, the device repeatedly consults with Apple servers and deactivates on the go on iOS 9. I was reading a newspaper in safari on the iPad back when it happened. The iPad rebooted on its own, I did absolutely nothing.

Just to give you some peace of mind, I even erased all content and settings on my 6s on iOS 10 and it activated perfectly. Should you ever want to do that, it should be fine, too. It’s only iOS 9 that’s affected.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The jailbreak community has a theory and it jives with your outlook…forced upgrades.

That 6s+ I had on 9.0.2 for five years that I mentioned to you in another thread? I have forgotten how exactly it was triggered, but the JB community came up with a solution to prevent it from happening.

Basically, it triggers and causes the Hello screen that you see on a newly restored iDevice to run again. It's an app, and it overlays the Springboard. Once it runs you can't quit it. You're forced to update. Using iFile or some other file manager tweak you can go in and rename the app. Since it's hardcoded for that specific app name, when the trigger goes off the 'bug' fails and nothing happens because it can no longer find the app.

Once I heard about it so many years back, I renamed the app and never had this issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: FeliApple

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
The jailbreak community has a theory and it jives with your outlook…forced upgrades.

That 6s+ I had on 9.0.1 for five years that I mentioned to you in another thread? I have forgotten how exactly it was triggered, but the JB community came up with a solution to prevent it from happening.

Basically, it triggers and causes the Hello screen that you see on a newly restored iDevice to run again. It's an app, and it overlays the Springboard. Once it runs you can't quit it. You're forced to update. Using iFile or some other file manager tweak you can go in and rename the app. Since it's hardcoded for that specific app name, when the trigger goes off the 'bug' fails and nothing happens because it can no longer find the app.

Once I heard about it so many years back, I renamed the app and never had this issue.
Yeah, you have to rename setup.app. Like you said, setup.app is the app that runs when an iOS device is activated. Apple has great reasons to prevent the app from being bypassed. I read about this well after my devices were forced out, and there was no way to get out of it once it is triggered.

I believe it triggers because Apple periodically checks its servers for activation status (here, I found it, I think it‘s this lockdown daemon: https://www.theiphonewiki.com/wiki//usr/libexec/lockdownd). Why does the Apple server return an order to deactivate it if it matches these parameters, I do not know.

What is incredibly weird about this is that no other device on any other iOS version has this issue. An iPhone 5s can run iOS 7, an iPhone 7 can run iOS 10, etc. I believe all other compatible processors can run iOS 9, too.

I was unlucky in the sense that I had the two devices I like the most with that combination. I wish I had updated them to iOS 10 back then. It’s the only time I regret not updating something.

I really like the 9.7-inch iPad Pro, it’s my favourite iPad ever (even though I now have an Air 5 on iPadOS 15). Like I said, I have to see the glass half-full: considering it took almost two years for it to be affected (I have no idea why, it should’ve happened earlier, because like I said, it periodically checks for activation), it could’ve been triggered now, on iPadOS 16. At least it’s on iOS 12…

Reactions: eyoungren
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.