Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Hi, in July 2021 I posted this: "The battery on my iPhone 6s was changed by Apple on January 2018. The level was at 100% for about one month then it dropped to 94% and has stayed at 94% since, I notice that a full charge now powers the phone for no more than 10 hours. 6s is on 14.4.1 now and the battery was changed when the phone was on iOS 11. So 11,12,13 and 14, battery at 94% all the time". It's November 2021. Meanwhile, I tried a Moto E 2020. You can't get more entry level than that. It does the job but I'm not in love with Android. Thinking about reverting to iPone on Black Friday. Moto E not slowest than the 6s but not fastest either. Thing is the 6s is now on 14.8 and since, it's getting hot for about any task and above all tasks that are streaming related like Podcasts (yes Podcasts), YT, etc. Then the battery drops to 5-1 % in seconds but can still stream for 1 hour at 1%. Bizarre. Something tells me battery percentage is false all the way. Though CoconutBattery shows battery health at 75, 60 and even 30% at times. Advice: I will get the 12 probably but I don't want to leave the 6S in that condition. Does it have a battery or a hardware issue. If battery issue, is it wise to spend 65$ (in Canada) to replace the battery? Or should I just leave it that way and put it in my collectibles drawer? As I will do with the Moto E.
I know I'm talking dinosaur here. But I'm a very faithful man...
Thanks a lot

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I wouldn’t put any more money into a device I’m not likely to use anymore soon, personally. But it’s really your call.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I disagree, app support wise 6s will be supported for many years, for example whatsapp since November 1 no longer supports iOS 9 And that was many years ago
Whatsapp is an outlier, most popular apps require something much newer than that.

Either way, you would have to get the device checked to see what's wrong with it and how much it would cost to fix. No way to tell if it's worth it without that information.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I have a 6S and changed the battery when Apple were doing them cheap towards the end of 2018. I'm running the latest iOS 15.2 beta on it, and it's running well.

It's mainly a backup phone (I have the 11 as well) but as I only bought the 16GB version it can't take many apps. Performance is very good for an older phone, and my battery is doing ok.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
There’s my problem. The battery was changed under Apple plan in 2018. It was at 85%. I’ve had battery problems since the replacement like the eternal 93% displayed since 2018, the drain and now the hot phone. Coconut tells the new battery has 187 cycles which is representative to my very light use. I really think the geniuses at the store ****ed my 6s and now I want to rebuy a new one but had planned to use the 6s as backup. All the phones even the dumb ones are in mint condition in my drawer. Could still use any of them if I wanted. You should see my 5s and SE. so disappointed.

3:16

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2018
There’s my problem. The battery was changed under Apple plan in 2018. It was at 85%. I’ve had battery problems since the replacement like the eternal 93% displayed since 2018, the drain and now the hot phone. Coconut tells the new battery has 187 cycles which is representative to my very light use. I really think the geniuses at the store ****ed my 6s and now I want to rebuy a new one but had planned to use the 6s as backup. All the phones even the dumb ones are in mint condition in my drawer. Could still use any of them if I wanted. You should see my 5s and SE. so disappointed.
You shouldn’t have upgraded the software. Now face the consequence.

kpcboopathi

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2011
Just calibrate the battery. After OS minor point update, my iPhone SE original battery started behaving abnormally. Recalibration of battery worked fine for me.

The battery is replaced by 3rd party in May 2020. Going strong still.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-11-15 at 3.14.09 PM.png
    Screenshot 2021-11-15 at 3.14.09 PM.png
    32.4 KB · Views: 34

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
I recently bought a new phone and traded in the 6S+
I changed the battery 2 years ago but it dropped off a cliff recently.
I traded it in as part of the purchase with Apple and it was only worth €40. Not even the price of a new battery. Better than sticking it in a drawer however.
It still worked fine but looking at the new phone, it's way slicker. Everyything is so much faster plus it's got 5G, more than double the battery life, better bluetooth, better camera....
I didn't think it was worth spending any more money on.
You might get it to limp along. Yes it will work for a year or more if it really has to but you may as well put money into something that will give you a better user experience.
You might not see it's worth it now but once you've got a newer phone you see the difference immediately. The phones over the last couple of years are a real leap forward.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
2018 is 3 years ago. Lithium battery degrades with age, even if you don't use it. 2 years is the typical lifespan. The 6s battery is tiny, only 1700mAh. That's less than half of any current Android phones. Obviously you cannot go far. Plus, the A9 chip has only performance cores, no efficiency cores to save battery when doing less intensive tasks. This performance cores can heat up quite a bit. My 7+, when in use for gaming, can heat up a lot to the point it's uncomfortable to touch.

Considering the 6s is from 2015, I think it's time to upgrade. I would get the 13 mini. If you're on a budget, get the iPhone 11. It's larger, but the battery life is leaps and bounds over the 6s.

TL;DR: what you're experiencing imo is not out of ordinary. Battery is the 6s biggest weakness.

Reactions: 3:16

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
2018 is 3 years ago. Lithium battery degrades with age, even if you don't use it. 2 years is the typical lifespan. The 6s battery is tiny, only 1700mAh. That's less than half of any current Android phones. Obviously you cannot go far. Plus, the A9 chip has only performance cores, no efficiency cores to save battery when doing less intensive tasks. This performance cores can heat up quite a bit. My 7+, when in use for gaming, can heat up a lot to the point it's uncomfortable to touch.

Considering the 6s is from 2015, I think it's time to upgrade. I would get the 13 mini. If you're on a budget, get the iPhone 11. It's larger, but the battery life is leaps and bounds over the 6s.

TL;DR: what you're experiencing imo is not out of ordinary. Battery is the 6s biggest weakness.
I'm not on a budget, I'm rather surprised that the 6s dies in a span of 6 months. Everything was almost fine before iOS 14. Got my lesson. I will carefully chose my new iPhone cause as I said, I'm a vey light user of a phone. Plus I want a bigger screen. Thanks to all for helping me so much to wrap things up in my head.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.