Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rorosbutt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
The phone randomly just shut off (doesn't reboot) and when I try to turn it back on it shows the "battery low and change" screen. The battery is always above the 20% mark and tonight it was over 30% changed. Anyone know why?

Could it be kind of like the "Touch disease" issue in the 6/+? I know they've moved that hardware for the 6s but just wondering.

6s 64gb iOS 9.3.5 (13G36)

Bonnez

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2016
Hey , My almost one year iphone 6s has this problem to, it starten 6 months ago, random restarts , turns of between 5-30% battery . after 2 min i could restart the device just for a few sec before it turns itself off. i called a lot to apple , restore with itunes , without backup and with backup, made no difference. I send it to repair , my carrier took care of it. They found no problem and did just a DFU reset (firmware/software)I did a lot correct battery calibrations didn't work
i used the app battery life , it told me the battery was average en sometimes bad and even verry bad , the max charge was between 1350mha and 1400mah
Now i send it to apple. 09/09/2016

Attachments

• IMG_2457.PNG
    IMG_2457.PNG
    439.5 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_2458.PNG
    IMG_2458.PNG
    442.5 KB · Views: 183

frifra

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
I had that experience with my 6 and my girlfriend with her 6s. But not as often.

Usually when the phone was used inside or outside (2 degrees Celsius) in my warm hand. It was likely temperature related.

cub4bearin

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
you are not alone.. same happens here. :(

The phone randomly just shut off (doesn't reboot) and when I try to turn it back on it shows the "battery low and change" screen. The battery is always above the 20% mark and tonight it was over 30% changed. Anyone know why?

Could it be kind of like the "Touch disease" issue in the 6/+? I know they've moved that hardware for the 6s but just wondering.

frifra

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
I am sure we all are just holding it wrong :).

Do you use a case?

Bonnez

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2016
Yes I use different cases , platic , wood , metal.
my iphone never came hot, only when you play high end 3D games

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
You should go to Apple Store to replace battery. It should not be that bad after only 255 cycles. Looks like battery is damaged

Bonnez

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2016
Yes , when i called apple . I told that i had 255 cycles en my capacity was around 1400mah
They repley: Indeed normal i could easely handle 400 cycles

i used those apps:
iBackupBot for iTunes
coconut battery
battery life
Lirium info

frifra

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Yes I use different cases , platic , wood , metal.
my iphone never came hot, only when you play high end 3D games
I was just wondering if the phone always restarts/shuts down in specific cases. I am not saying that it is your fault or should be this way, as you should be able to use any case you want to. But maybe your phone or battery is faulty and more sensitive to heat/cold.

Bonnez

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2016
When I'm oudoors the battery work normal, its always arond 100-30% when i'm not at home.
it happens most of the time at home , just watching tv or laying in bed and texting people all common stuf.
And then it happens , between 5-20 % it can turn of instant. sometimes in rare cases 1%.

Rorosbutt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Hey , My almost one year iphone 6s has this problem to, it starten 6 months ago, random restarts , turns of between 5-30% battery . after 2 min i could restart the device just for a few sec before it turns itself off. i called a lot to apple , restore with itunes , without backup and with backup, made no difference. I send it to repair , my carrier took care of it. They found no problem and did just a DFU reset (firmware/software)I did a lot correct battery calibrations didn't work
i used the app battery life , it told me the battery was average en sometimes bad and even verry bad , the max charge was between 1350mha and 1400mah
My battery health is at 97% :/
[doublepost=1473620612][/doublepost]
I am sure we all are just holding it wrong :).

Do you use a case?
Just a cheap case that I've used with this 6s and the 6 when I had it. Didn't feel hot in my hand... It just started happening.

Bonnez

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2016
My battery health is at 97% :/
[doublepost=1473620612][/doublepost]
Just a cheap case that I've used with this 6s and the 6 when I had it. Didn't feel hot in my hand... It just started happening.

A battery with 97% health is verry good ! :)

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR

Is your one year warranty up? You should take it in to Apple

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I was having that problem with my 6s. Battery was still at 95% capacity but after doing a restore and it still occurring, Apple sent me a replacement phone. Hasn't happened since. Something must have been defective, not sure if it was battery or motherboard/CPU.

Rorosbutt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Is your one year warranty up? You should take it in to Apple

Nah. Got this in March.
[doublepost=1473739797][/doublepost]
I was having that problem with my 6s. Battery was still at 95% capacity but after doing a restore and it still occurring, Apple sent me a replacement phone. Hasn't happened since. Something must have been defective, not sure if it was battery or motherboard/CPU.

I'll have to schedule a reservation. They had preformed a diagnostic over the phone and nothing was throwing a red flag. Maybe Apple Store can do something. It's just such a process. Closest store is 40 mins away depending on traffic.

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
I had a similar issue with my 6S. Typically between 20-30% battery, it would shut off. Holding the power button would allow it to start up for a few seconds, show the same battery percentage as when it shut off, then go into shutdown process once again. Plugging the phone into power would result in a 5-10% "bump" higher in battery, and if I let it charge a few minutes, it would be fine.

The local Apple Store replaced the phone under warranty.

Bonnez

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2016
Update : I send y iphone for repair friday , and my status changed yesterday (diagnostic product) and later today the status changed to (repaired product send). So i hope my battery is replaced or a refurb one. Does anyone has experience with repaired iphones ?

HaydenWI

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2016
Charlotte
I own a 6 with this issue. It's incredibly annoying. The phone will randomly die with as much as 40% charge remaining, typically when opening a power intensive app like Snapchat (or camera), or streaming music etc... I've tried a "reset all settings" and a factory restore without any success. I was going to take it in for a battery replacement, but it passes the health tests. Someone on another forum was told by a Genius that it's a hardware issue, unrelated to the battery...

Bonnez

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2016
update today: i received a package from ups , and when i opened the flat box the iphone was covered in plastic like a new one , I don't no if its a refurb or original. I read the technical letter inside.

we repaired you're iphone succefully, the following parts have been replaced:
part number: 661-03054
discribe: silver,display assembly iphone 6s
symptom
display-image Quality

I don't see a relation between display and random restarts/shutdowns and turning of between 5-20%
Hardware is complicated

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007

Could you tell me which app this is?
The only Battery life app I found on iOS store is "Battery Life: check internal battery statistics & wear level" app by Robert Tkotzyk. But it looks nothing like your screen shoots.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
This happens to me sometimes on my 6S as well. It's very random but quite annoying.

Rorosbutt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
update today: i received a package from ups , and when i opened the flat box the iphone was covered in plastic like a new one , I don't no if its a refurb or original. I read the technical letter inside.

we repaired you're iphone succefully, the following parts have been replaced:
part number: 661-03054
discribe: silver,display assembly iphone 6s
symptom
display-image Quality

I don't see a relation between display and random restarts/shutdowns and turning of between 5-20%
Hardware is complicated

You can cross check the serial/IMEI and other ID numbers from the phone you have to the original box from when you got the first phone.
[doublepost=1473911905][/doublepost]
I own a 6 with this issue. It's incredibly annoying. The phone will randomly die with as much as 40% charge remaining, typically when opening a power intensive app like Snapchat (or camera), or streaming music etc... I've tried a "reset all settings" and a factory restore without any success. I was going to take it in for a battery replacement, but it passes the health tests. Someone on another forum was told by a Genius that it's a hardware issue, unrelated to the battery...

I can totally see it being an hardware issue (kinda like the Touch disease.) I'll try to go into Apple Store next week if they will replace it without doing an AppleCare+ claim!

Bonnez

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2016
Update : its the same iphone ,
same battery 262 cycles
max charge 1473 mah

it has just another screen, i really don't understand them.
its like you're car battery is faulty , and the repair service replace your window.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.