Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DevinM888

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2023
Good day. My 6th Gen will be displayed on a living room table aside a 'fixed' Bluetooth speaker. I want the iPod to continuously display the Time and the Current temperature. Any special apps available? The iPod will be only used to manage music through the speaker - both music apps, and local radio station streams. Thanks all!

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
As you probably have figured out, the latest OS is iOS 12.5.7 which means no custom widgets are possible.
The otherwise highly recommendable Scriptable crashes on my iPod.
What about the built-in solution?
- set display off to 'never'
- unlock
- swipe down from the top to access the notification center
- swipe right to permanently display the built-in widget page
iOS.12.jpg

Reactions: DevinM888

DevinM888

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2023
Great solution! I will give it a try.
Full disclosure: I have not updated to 12.5.7 I was prompted, but have yet to "update".
Should I postpone the update? Do the gains, out-weigh the losses if I pull the trigger and update?
I'll also need to find a nice stand where it will live and charge aside my Marshall BT speaker.

Thanks again!

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
I do not know if the OS you have currently installed already offers said widgets.
I have not experienced any downsides from installing 12.5.7 (January 2023).
While iOS 12 or even earlier is 'unsafe' nonetheless for internet activity, I doubt it makes any difference for your use case as 'jukebox'.
If you are not yet on iOS 12 at all, you might miss out on some app updates that require iOS 12.
But most apps still won't update to their most recent version as iOS 12 is too old.

Reactions: DevinM888
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.