Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lostinforums

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2015
Looking at getting a new Mac Pro (7,1 I believe?) the cheese grater 2019 model.

I have a late 2009 Mac Pro which has 3 hdd in it, 4tb, 2tb and a 1.5tb (and a ssd boot drive 250gb)

can I put those drives in the new Mac Pro?

and can I move over my pcie cards in the new one? i have a Universal audio pcie card and a usb expansion card currently in mine.

also - I have 2 units that’s use FireWire ports, 800 I think, can I still use these on the new Mac Pro?
thanks

StuAff

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2007
Portsmouth, UK
Yes. Promise R2i will take one of those HDs (both if you took out the 8TB included one), the SSD would work in the J2i with a mounting adaptor or on a PCIe card like OWC's.

Yes to the PCIe cards

Yes with TB3-FireWire adaptors.

lostinforums

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2015
Thanks for your help, very interested in the r2i. Just been reading about it.

is it possible to connect my current hdd internal hard drives externally to the new Mac Pro?

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula

TL;DR - send your 11 year old spinners to ewaste, and buy new USB 3 drives.

Reactions: orytek and OkiRun

lostinforums

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2015
Yes i saw that J2i - i shall be getting that with a fresh 8tb already in bay one - can i put one of my 3.5" data drives in the other slot?

Pow!

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
Toronto
is it possible to connect my current hdd internal hard drives externally to the new Mac Pro?
Boot the old machine while holding T and it will go into Target Disk Mode and become an external hard drive.

Plug it in over FW/TB/TB3 and marvel as your old internal drives mount on your new machine!
? ?

Please eject those drives before pressing the power button to shut down the old beast.

Theophilos

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2015
California
Today, I received the Sonnet J3i, which supports two 3.5 drives or three 2.5 drives over SATA. With it, I was able to install two older WD Black 6 TB drives from an external TB2 drive that was getting too hot and making too much noise. I’m very happy with the Sonnet, because I can barely hear the hard drives and it runs just as quietly and coolly as before.

Apple did a wonderful job on expandability when it comes to storage. I have two Sonnet m2 4x4 sleds that house 8 total NVME drives with an aggregate capacity of 10 TB ultrafast storage in RAID 0. Now, I have these two 6 TB drives running as RAID 1 for redundancy. Not to mention the 2 TB internal drive. Altogether, 18 TB of storage using different connections and for different applications. Good job, Apple.

Reactions: Pow!

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Two more options - Two 3½" HDDs and one 2½" SSD. One 3½" HDD and two 2½" SSDs. The third or bottom drive must be an SSD and is connected to the internal USB port.

Lou

Reactions: Pow!
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.