Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HansumKingtut

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
Virginia, USA
Now that the TV, IOS, and Mac OS X support 7.1 Surround, is there list of movies (either you know of off the top of you head, or other wise posted on the web) that support 7.1 on iTunes? or does iTunes even support 7.1? I have looked at the movies I already own, and some I want to get in the future, but they all just say "Dolby 5.1"

Now that the Apple Ecosystem supports 7.1 was wondering if there was any content within iTunes that does too.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
7.1 is possible with DD+ though I have yet to see any actually movies with a 7.1 track on DD+.

Otherwise you are looking at DTS-MA HD/TrueHD for 7.1 and apple does not support that. If home theater is important to you then ditch itunes and make your own rips. Or use Vudu. They do stream the HD audio tracks. Even dolby atmos.

bucksaddle

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Some of the recent releases have a 7.1 soundtrack on the Apple TV. Star Wars, The Revenant and The Martian all have 7.1 detailed in their description on the Apple TV (although not in iTunes on Mac or iOS)

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
Some of the recent releases have a 7.1 soundtrack on the Apple TV. Star Wars, The Revenant and The Martian all have 7.1 detailed in their description on the Apple TV (although not in iTunes on Mac or iOS)
I saw that. How does it play with MP4 container? I thought these containers cannot do 7.1. Only 5.1?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.