Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nobodyhome

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
I broke the screen on my iPad and as extra security of data I'm trying to do a full backup to my new M1 Mac. The MacBook has 7.62 TB free, but says there isn't enough free space to full backup an older up-to-date 128 GB iPad? I even tried changing the iCloud/iPad's media setting to keep low quality versions on the iPad and make the iPad's backup hopefully smaller...

It's probably an easy fix, but without knowing exactly what to search for I'm only finding canned troubleshoots that aren't helping this specific issue and I'm kind of frayed already from my iPad screen being shattered.

nobodyhome

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Internal. Getting my external drives to work is a different can of worms I really don't want to smell right now…

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
Which version of MacOS? Is it iTunes? Delete all possible iPad backups (via iTunes you can find backups under Preferences>Devices) before trying again (or copy them to some other folder). Open a terminal and check ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/ - if there is a folder Backup inside, simply delete it (or copy it beforehand to another folder).

Reactions: nobodyhome

nobodyhome

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Which version of MacOS? Is it iTunes? Delete all possible iPad backups (via iTunes you can find backups under Preferences>Devices) before trying again (or copy them to some other folder). Open a terminal and check ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/ - if there is a folder Backup inside, simply delete it (or copy it beforehand to another folder).
I'll try this because it sounds helpful. Thank you.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.