Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mwinner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
I have a 7 month old Magic Keyboard and noticed one of the corners where my palm rests has worn through the rubber and is displaying aluminum. I have paid the AC+ for the keyboard and iPad having purchased both in September 2021. I called Apple, showed them a picture of the keyboard and was told “normal wear and tear” is not suitable for warranty.

Is this considered to be normal wear and tear for a $300 keyboard? Is the consumer expected to replace the keyboard every year as the rubber wears out? Quite honestly, its not a major issue, but more of an inconvenience/annoyance. But realizing the MK is not designed for long term use is a bit disheartening, especially since there really is not a suitable alternative for the iPad.

Rocko99991

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2017
I would keep contacting them and try to escalate the issue. How many hours a day do you type on the keyboard?

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
Same issue here, Mine doesn’t show up in Apple Care even though i had it added when i bought it. Told me to pound sand

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
Same issue here, Mine doesn’t show up in Apple Care even though i had it added when i bought it. Told me to pound sand
And you excepted that, get onto apple care over phone, get a supervisor, send photos, proof of purchase, all apple products have 2 year warranty here. Australia, even out of warranty there is laws for how long a product would last. For $480-550AUD I would be like a dog with a bone getting that replaced.

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
And you excepted that, get onto apple care over phone, get a supervisor, send photos, proof of purchase, all apple products have 2 year warranty here. Australia, even out of warranty there is laws for how long a product would last. For $480-550AUD I would be like a dog with a bone getting that replaced.
I tried man.
Multiple calls etc
**** just doesn’t work because I’m in a different country.

• Sad
Reactions: Dealmans

davidhuerta

Suspended
Nov 28, 2021
I have a 7 month old Magic Keyboard and noticed one of the corners where my palm rests has worn through the rubber and is displaying aluminum. I have paid the AC+ for the keyboard and iPad having purchased both in September 2021. I called Apple, showed them a picture of the keyboard and was told “normal wear and tear” is not suitable for warranty.

Is this considered to be normal wear and tear for a $300 keyboard? Is the consumer expected to replace the keyboard every year as the rubber wears out? Quite honestly, its not a major issue, but more of an inconvenience/annoyance. But realizing the MK is not designed for long term use is a bit disheartening, especially since there really is not a suitable alternative for the iPad.
Hello Friend, :)

The same issue that happened to you happened to me as well. Magic Keyboard was not working. I think you should contact him through mail to the company, maybe he understands your problem and gives some solution.:oops:
If still there is no reply then please tell because together we will come out with some other solution.:rolleyes:

va1984

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011

I had a Magic Keyboard that I had used daily since the day it launched and it looked like this:
tempImageWnYf88.jpg
tempImagemiCirs.jpg
tempImageWbCM0W.jpg

Pretty pathetic for such an expensive accessory, if you ask me. Thankfully, I pay AppleCare+ for the 2018 iPad that I use with it, so when the hinge also caved, I able to get them to replace it with a new one without trouble.

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
I had a Magic Keyboard that I had used daily since the day it launched and it looked like this:
View attachment 1986496 View attachment 1986497 View attachment 1986498

Pretty pathetic for such an expensive accessory, if you ask me. Thankfully, I pay AppleCare+ for the 2018 iPad that I use with it, so when the hinge also caved, I able to get them to replace it with a new one without trouble.
I really don’t like that rubber/silicone material Apple uses on their cases. It very quickly becomes soiled and for what they charge it doesn’t hold up nearly as long as it should. They should look at the materials Logitech and Zugu are using.

mwinner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
View attachment 1986496 View attachment 1986497 View attachment 1986498

This is pretty much what mine looks like…I guess I have to wait until the hinge fails?

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I really don’t like that rubber/silicone material Apple uses on their cases. It very quickly becomes soiled and for what they charge it doesn’t hold up nearly as long as it should. They should look at the materials Logitech and Zugu are using.
I 100% agree and I would add some of Zagg's cases into that mix too. It feels like the same material and just as high quality but manages to stay fingerprint and grime free. I really don't get it. I always buy Apple's stuff anyway because they always seem to fit just that little bit better than the 3rd party stuff, but I also always get a DecalGirl of some kind for the outside so I don't always have to worry about how gross my iPad cover is getting.

Reactions: Zensō

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
how are the edges peeling?

is that from tossing it in a bag with other things?

glad I got the dbrand skin on the outside, as I know that material doesnt hold up well (from smart covers)

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
Apple's after-purchase support for the Magic Keyboard is abysmal. I bought one when it launched for an iPad that I already owned. My iPad is covered by AppleCare and, per their website, that coverage extends to accessories like the Apple Pencil and Apple-branded keyboard accessories.

This morning my trackpad stopped working on the MKB. I immediately setup a genius bar appointment. Went over today and they initially declined to replace it because it's "out of warranty." I showed them their own website that says the product is covered under the iPad Pro's AppleCare. They then searched as hard as they could to find something to prove that it was only covered if the iPad and MKB were purchased at the same time (there wasn't, because that isn't true). Then they told me I had to call Apple and have the AppleCare coverage of my iPP linked to my MKB. So I called Apple and they linked it, but now I have to wait 24 hours - 5 business days for the link to show in the system before they will do anything to replace my keyboard.

This is by far the worst service I've ever received through Apple Care or at the Apple Store. There is no customer-side prompt to link coverage, and their system for linking coverage in order to get service has an unacceptable turnaround time.

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
Apple's after-purchase support for the Magic Keyboard is abysmal. I bought one when it launched for an iPad that I already owned. My iPad is covered by AppleCare and, per their website, that coverage extends to accessories like the Apple Pencil and Apple-branded keyboard accessories.

This morning my trackpad stopped working on the MKB. I immediately setup a genius bar appointment. Went over today and they initially declined to replace it because it's "out of warranty." I showed them their own website that says the product is covered under the iPad Pro's AppleCare. They then searched as hard as they could to find something to prove that it was only covered if the iPad and MKB were purchased at the same time (there wasn't, because that isn't true). Then they told me I had to call Apple and have the AppleCare coverage of my iPP linked to my MKB. So I called Apple and they linked it, but now I have to wait 24 hours - 5 business days for the link to show in the system before they will do anything to replace my keyboard.

This is by far the worst service I've ever received through Apple Care or at the Apple Store. There is no customer-side prompt to link coverage, and their system for linking coverage in order to get service has an unacceptable turnaround time.
Bummer. I should probably link my Magic Keyboard to my iPad AppleCare. Which phone number did you call to set that up?

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020

Man! You are lucky it got added quick.
I can’t do it because i am in a different country.
Hell, I would love if you could help me with the call aspect to add it in my plan.
Your experience is 10x better than mine, where they wont add it, because they wont call me on my number here

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021

It's absurd and inexcusable. I had a similar experience, as have many other paying Apple Care customers.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
how are the edges peeling?

is that from tossing it in a bag with other things?

glad I got the dbrand skin on the outside, as I know that material doesnt hold up well (from smart covers)
Yeah I’m not sure about it peeling off. I don’t use a skin and I have one very small nicks on the outside. However, it’s not peeling and nothing is exposed. It’s 2.5 years old and has held up really well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.