Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Have you changed your opinion on the 2023 Mac Pro?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 35 100.0%

• Total voters

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
Where do you get the "256Gb ram" idea from?

The i-things, along with the peripherals and subscription stuff, have made apple SO much $ that the computers don't even have to be profitable to still be worth doing "just because".

He's anticipating the M3 Ultra RAM boost?

Reactions: Harry Haller

Harry Haller

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2023
Does this mean, for your work interests, that a 2019 is still far more useful? What is the major negative about the 2019 for your work?

Unfortunately no. The 7.1 was orphaned like the trashcan and iMac Pro with a minor GPU update and nothing else in 5 years. The old Xeons, Radeons and old i/o are deal killers for me. If only Apple had tossed the Threadripper Pros in the 7.1 and stopped with the Nvidia nonsense all would be good for HEDT users. Don't get me wrong the Apple Silicon is brilliant for everything except workstations. Sadly the AS Extreme chip that would have been best of class in HEDT systems was a bridge too far for Apple. I'm waiting on a Studio M3 Ultra announcement at WWDC that will meet my needs.

Last edited:

D49

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2022
I've run Macs since '86 Owned plenty of them. I lean toward the Mac Pro always. Tried the Studio Ultra, it's nice but for me too limited. I bought the 2023 Mac Pro at a darn good price so couldn't pass it up. I'm not bothered by graphic cards no update because the Studio did fine and so does this 2023 Mac Pro. Its the fastest using Handbrake I've ever had. DVD at 965+ FPS. Blu Ray at 400. Using WD 850 series NVME 4x4 at write 6000+ and Read 6000+ no raid. Pretty darn good. It's quiet, sleeps with no issues and starts quick. Has 8 thunderbolt ports. I run most everything inside the beast.

Harry Haller

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2023
How about Lenovo PX with dual CPUs and multiple GPUs?

Not a Mac (and not quite as nicely built as the 2019 Mac Pro) but it's the logical follow on from a 2019 Mac Pro as far as I can see.

Another alternative would be the HP alternative to the Lenovo - also solid but not quite as nice.

If I wasn't developing for AVP that's the route I would be taking. The new 7000 series Threadrippers matched with Nvidia cards are approaching real time rendering. The hardware raytracing and dynamic meshes in Unreal Engine 5.3 are astounding with that hardware. The Studio M3 Ultra will be able to do that, just not as fast as the Threadrippers.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
If I wasn't developing for AVP that's the route I would be taking. The new 7000 series Threadrippers matched with Nvidia cards are approaching real time rendering. The hardware raytracing and dynamic meshes in Unreal Engine 5.3 are astounding with that hardware. The Studio M3 Ultra will be able to do that, just not as fast as the Threadrippers.

What I think is really interesting is how much of film and tv production is now built entirely on SteamVR, Vive Trackers, and Unreal.

You have LED screen cycloramas displaying live 3D footage from the set in Unreal, keyed to the tracked cameras, whose position, aprerture and focus are inputs to Unreal, to the backdrop in realtime.

And Apple is effectively locked out of all of that.

jimmy_john

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2023
I would thin most did some minimal amount of ram and just bought 3rd party maxing to that amount.

Right but even then, maybe 1-2% ?

Most 2019’s I’ve seen in the wild are running 48-192 range. I’ve got 384 in mine. I can’t recall ever seeing a 768 let alone 1.5TB

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
Right but even then, maybe 1-2% ?

Most 2019’s I’ve seen in the wild are running 48-192 range. I’ve got 384 in mine. I can’t recall ever seeing a 768 let alone 1.5TB

Agreed. I can't hazard a guess, but I think a small percentage. Over time, if some of the bigger capacity chips get cheap enough, I can see more people doing it though. But again, probably not to big a percentage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.